Perfect Match - Mason Mount

When your mum told you her best friend's son was perfect for you it made you roll your eyes. "Don't sass me Y/N" she exclaims, you cross your arms and frown at her, "that's what you always say and the past I don't know how many guys were full duds" you reply. She walks up to where you're standing and places her hands on your arms, "okay darling but this one I have no doubts about, and his mum thinks you'd be great together too" you sigh at her pleading expression, "well what's he like?" she grins at the question but ignores it, rushing out of your flat while bringing her phone to her ear, chatting away to you assume her co-matchmaker. With a final roll of your eyes you turn back to the kitchen to finish making dinner, ignoring the tiny glimmer of hope at the back of your mind that always comes around when there's a mention of someone that could be your person.

••••

"Your mum is still doing her matchmaking?" your friend asks in disbelief while you stir the drink sitting in front of you, "I don't think she'll stop until I'm married, and unfortunately I never know how to say no to her" you reply. "What did she say about this guy?" you throw your hands down on the table in frustration, "nothing, it's making me jumpy because I don't know when I'll hear anything from her or even him" your friend looks at you with wide eyes a small smirk on her face. "That's out of the ordinary for Y/M/N" you nod then go back to stirring your cocktail, "he's apparently her best friend's son but that's all I have" she sighs and furrows her brows in thought. "Have you met any of her kids?" You shake your head, "I've met her, Deb's like a second mum to me, but all of her kids are my age or older, they've never been around when I'm with her" she huffs and sips her wine.

When the waiter appears with food the two of you ordered, a smile comes to your face, thanking him when he places the plate in front of you. As you watch him put your friend's plate down your phone vibrates on the table taking your attention away from the beautifully arranged meals. A text from an unknown number has you biting your lip while you finger hovers above the lockscreen. "Y/N!" You look up at your friend's raised voice, "what is it?" you release your lip, "some unknown number texting me, it's probably just a wrong number" you explain then put the device face down on the table. "WAIT!" she exclaims making you jump slightly, "what if it's him?" she adds while an excited smile comes to her face. The thought makes your stomach flip nervously, "he can wait, I'm here with you" she snorts, "girl please, we both know you won't be able to focus until you check the text" you let out a shaky breath, "why am I nervous?" she gives you a knowing look, "because you don't know anything about him and he could be the one" you shake out your hands quickly then grab your phone, "why'd my mum do this to me, why'd I agree" you mutter and finally unlock the device.

heyyy
my mum gave me your number
I don't really know what she was thinking when she did this
you don't need to reply i'll understand

A smile comes to your face at the consecutive texts from the man your mum insisted is perfect for you. "OMG spill right now!" you look up at your friend who is leaning forward eagerly, "its him, and it's kinda rambly" you say while showing her the messages. "Girl he's clearly nervous" you shrug, "that's fair since he's basically texting a stranger, and if his mum is like mine I'm sure he's been through some of the same things as me" she nods then starts to dig in to her meal.

Im mason btw

You smile again at the new text with the name of the man you don't know yet.

hey mason 😊
Im Y/N
our mums seem to think they're matchmakers
mine has struck out more times than I can count
how about yours?

Same here unfortunately
Or fortunately I guess since we wouldn't be having this convo otherwise 😅

"Alright babe now I feel like a third wheel" you look up from your phone, a sheepish smile on your face. "Sorry, just chatting with Mason" her face lights up at the name now tied to Deb's son. "I bet he's fit as fuck" you lift a curious eyebrow at her statement, "why'd you figure that?" she shrugs, "the name Mason gives that vibe" you laugh then put your phone back down. "Not gonna reply further?" you shake your head, "I'm starving, he'll understand" she nods and you focus on the plate in front of you. The remainder of the night spent laughing, chatting and not looking forward to work the next morning.