Lost, Found and DR3 - Daniel Ricciardo

You turn around on the spot with a wrinkle appearing between your eyebrows. The instructions your sister texted you make no sense as you decide that your best bet is to go back to the entrance of the paddock. You groan wondering why you declined her suggestion to meet you at the entrance. The people rushing around you don't notice your confusion as you speed walk to the turnstiles with your head down focusing on calling your sister to come get you as if you are a lost child.

As you tap her name in your contact list someone walks into you making you drop the device with a gasp. "Shit I'm so sorry" you look up to see the most handsome man looking down at you apologetically, "it's okay, I'm fine" you reply and drop down to grab your phone, "and so is this" you add holding up the device with a smile. The man that is the epitome of a cowboy grins making your heart skip unexpectedly. "Y/N? Are you there?" you shake your head at the sound of your sister's voice coming from the phone, you lift the device to your ear still looking up at the stranger, "yeah, I'm just lost this place is huge" she huffs, "I'm coming where are you?" the man clears his throat making you lift an eyebrow. "I can help you find where you need to go" he says making you realize that he has an Australian accent, you hear your sister questioning who he is but you block her out while smiling at the man, "that would be great" you reply and hang up the call, looking down at the device to scroll to the written directions your sister sent.

Once you have shown the man the directions he smiles and offers his arm with a dimpled smile. "I'll have you there in no time" he exclaims as the two of you walk further into the venue. He acts as your tour guide throughout the walk, pointing out interesting buildings and cracking jokes which make you laugh more than you ever have. The handsome stranger comes to a stop at the Red Bull building, your sister comes running out with wide eyes before you see her gaze moving to the guy you're with making her stop short, "Dan?" she asks, "hey Y/S/N! How it's going?" the stranger says happily. You look between them confused, "what is happening?" you mumble, your sister comes over, "thanks for getting her here, she's horrible at following directions" you blush and shove her, "shut up" Dan laughs making you look over while biting your lip shyly. "I didn't know you had a sister" he says while keeping his gaze on you instead of your sister, "you never asked, plus I work for Max so it is what it is Dan" she replies. He nods and brings a hand up to his cowboy hat tilting it your way with a grin, "nice to meet you Y/N, maybe I'll see you around" you shrug and he spins on his heel before walking away.

You can't help but watch him walk to wherever he's going, "why haven't you told me about Dan? he's a driver isn't he?" you ask seconds later and turn to your older sister. "He is a driver, which is exactly why I didn't tell you, this lifestyle is exhausting, it takes a huge toll on all of us" she explains while leading you into Red Bull, you let your gaze move along the photos of previous race winners plastered on the walls as she talks, only processing some of her words. "Y/N" she says making you look over, "this sport has such high highs and very low lows" you open your mouth to respond but she holds up a hand pointing her finger at something, you turn to see a photo of the same man that you met earlier only a younger version hoisting a trophy in the air with a huge grin on his face. You immediately smile but turn away when your sister places a hand on your arm, "I want you to know all of this because I can't tell you what to do, but I'm still your sister and I want you to be happy, whatever that may entail" she adds with a smile, "Y/S/N, I've only known the man for five minutes but I have a feeling that he might be the one that I've been looking for this whole time" you explain.

She looks into your eyes for a few seconds, "fuck, so my gut feeling was right?" you raise your eyebrows in surprise, "what are you talking about?" she sighs and brings a hand up to the bridge of her nose while shutting her eyes. "I met Daniel a couple of days after getting hired to work on Max's team, we were at one of the races and had some time to kill so we chatted" you tilt your head wondering where the story was going, "hearing him talk and gush about racing made me think of you and your passion when talking about what you love, I didn't know what my gut was telling me at first but when I talked to you a few weeks later it clicked into place" you blink a few times trying to understand, "what did?" she shakes her head and lowers her gaze, "that you guys are perfect for each other, his kindness and your generosity, the way that you both love to find that next adventure".

You smile in disbelief, "so you decided not to tell me about him this whole time?" she shrugs at you sheepishly, "oops?" you let out a laugh. "I've been dating all of these duds and you knew the perfect man for me" she rolls her eyes, "he left the team before I could do any match making so I'm sorry" you scoff dramatically, "there is this thing called the internet and phones and even taking face to face that you could've utilized" she pushes you away which makes you giggle. "Also does he always dress like a cowboy?" you ask her, she shakes her head, "no only when we're in Austin" she replies making you pout, "damn, it suits him sooo well" she smiles, "I'm sure you could convince him otherwise, he seems to have taken quite a liking to you" your gaze goes back to the photo on the wall, "how can you tell?" she takes your hand gently, "the way he looked at you said it all" you smile and she pulls you further into Red Bull for the time being.

••••

Two days later you're running around the paddock like a pro, holding up your phone while jogging through the chaos that pre-race brings. You're giggling while filming everything not paying attention to things happening in your peripherals, which would've prepared you for who was quickly approaching. When an arm suddenly comes around your waist you squeal and turn your head, grinning at the sight of Dan wearing a sleeveless Longhorns shirt and a different cowboy hat perched on his head. "What are you laughing about Y/N?" he asks with a grin of his own, "the atmosphere, the chaos, the fun" you reply and for the first time notice the ink on his arms, "sounds good, can I join?" you move your gaze away from his tan arms peering up shyly, "I'm not one to say no to some company" he loosens his arm before bringing you to his side, "lead the way beautiful" you blush but take hold of his hand pulling him through the paddock, your free hand still holding your phone overhead. This time the front camera recording your grin as the two of you weave through crowds of people.

Daniel suddenly pulls you to a stop making you stumble backwards slightly while you lower your phone. You turn your head to look at him curiously, "let's just slow down for a bit" he says making you nod, "yeah alright, wouldn't want you to get exhausted before the race" you tease, he chuckles and turns you around to bring you to his chest. "We wouldn't want you to fall asleep during the race" he teases back making you laugh as your hands rest on his chest, "believe me, my eyes will be wide open for this one, can't miss my first race" he lifts an eyebrow, "your sister works in this industry and you've never seen a race?" you shrug and move a hand up to his shoulder, "it is what it is right?" he shakes his head but all that you can focus on is the feel of his hand on your back. "Dan, show me this sport?" he looks at you happily before nodding enthusiastically, you smile and impulsively go on your toes to press a kiss to his lips, quickly pulling away and spinning out of his arms to leave him to get race ready.

A hand latches onto your wrist a couple of steps later tugging you backwards. "Y/N you gotta do better than that" Dan says before lowering his lips to yours. He makes sure to prolong the embrace as much as possible, your limbs turning to jelly as your hands latch onto him for good measure. When he pulls away you keep your eyes closed for a couple of seconds to process everything, but his hand going to your cheek makes you open them. "Stay until the end and we'll go do something later" you nod and he drops another short but amazing kiss to your lips leaving a love struck smile on your face as you go find your seat for the event.