First Steps - Daniel Ricciardo

You're sitting on the living room floor watching your son play with his favourite toys. He's giggling while playing making you smile while you tie your hair back into a bun. His dark curls bounce as he waves his arms around with small toy cars in hand. While looking at the toddler you can't help but notice the resemblances to his father, who isn't here to watch this small moment.

You decide to pull out your phone to record the little boy for Daniel's sake knowing that he loves when you send videos to him. As you record the curly haired toddler suddenly pushes himself up to his feet, you gasp quietly watching him wobble a bit before taking his first step. You quickly request a facetime with Daniel not wanting him to miss this. After a few rings his tired face appears on the small screen, worry visible on the Aussie's face, "you need to see this" you exclaim before flipping the camera view towards the little boy. He takes another unsure step before falling, he peers up at you with a small pout. You smile, "try again Y/S/N, you can do it" you say making the little boy furrow his eyebrows and place his hands down to get back up. "I can't believe I'm not there for this" you hear through the phone so you flip the camera again to see your husband, "me neither Dan, but you'll be here for the running around part, plus I'll take videos and pictures" you explain reassuringly, "I love you both" you smile at the tired Aussie, "we love you too" a giggle makes you look up.

Your son is holding his little arms out and is taking steadier steps towards you while smiling. A quick flip of the camera gives Daniel the same view as you hold a hand out to your son who rushes his steps to get to you, stumbling slightly into your body. "Good job buddy you're so big now" you tell him while cradling him closer as you flip the camera once more to see Daniel. The little boy squeals at the sight of his father, pushing his fingers at the small screen, "yeah that's Daddy, do you miss him" the curly head under your chin bobs up and down in response making you and Dan smile before saying goodbye and hanging up.

••••

A couple of days later you're making some food when you hear the front door unlocking. Your head perks up at the sound before looking at your son who is in his high chair babbling and giggling. You walk over and lift him out of the chair before placing him on his feet. The toddler makes a run for it while you follow to ensure he's safe. "Woah we've got a runner" you hear the familiar Australian voice say, when you turn the corner you see Daniel crouched down while your son runs into his outstretched arms. You smile at the happiness apparent on Dan's face as he lifts the little boy who is giggling because of the kisses that are getting pressed to his face. He walks over to you while holding Y/S/N in his arms, "I've missed you darling" he says and lowers his head to press a gentle kiss to your lips before your son tugs at your hair making you pull away with a grimace.

"Let's put him down before he actually pulls some hair out" you murmur making Dan laugh and swiftly put the little boy back on his feet. The two of you watch his little legs carry him to the living room, following along, Dan's arm across your shoulders and yours around his waist. You lean into your husband enjoying his warmth, "we made him" you murmur with a smile, "we sure did Y/N" he replies and squeezes your shoulder making you look up. "I'm so happy that you're home" he kisses your head softly, "me too, I can't wait to spend some time with you guys" you move your hand to his and pull him down to the ground where your son has made himself comfy while playing. The two of you watch and occasionally join in with the toddler forgetting about all of the things that had you stressed leading up to today. Family feeling more important when being together is so hard.