Dating 101 - Mason Mount

It was out of boredom that you downloaded the dating app. Your friends supported the impulsive download and wanted you to get out there more. They even helped you put together a profile that very clearly conveyed who you are. The photos attached ranging from best dressed to goofy and comfy. You didn't know that the app would have such an impact until you found Mason's profile during a quiet evening at home. Too exhausted from work to let your doubts dictate which way to swipe on the handsome man.

••••

A week passes and you've forgotten about your post-work swiping session. At least it was forgotten up until you get a new match notification from the dating app that you haven't used lately. You're sitting with your friends at one of their places when it happens. While they talk about funny memories from Uni you look down at your phone, unlocking it to open the neglected app. Something between a gasp and a snort leaves your lips when you see that Mason, the impulsive swipe right, has matched with you. "What happened?" your friend asks while nudging your shoulder. You look up to see the attention of all the women on you, "we matched" you reply, she grins then squishes next to you to see the phone screen.

"Are you gonna message him?" your other friend asks as she sits on your other side, you shrug then let her swipe through his profile. "I definitely think you should, he's gorgeous" you roll your eyes, "all the worst men are" she hums in response so you look over to see a massive grin on her face. "What's that look?" she hands you the phone, "Mason messaged you first" you immediately look down at the screen to see a new message waiting from him.

What did the manager do when the pitch became flooded?

You bite your lip at the obvious lead up to a joke. Ignoring your friends as you respond.

I don't know what did he do?

He sent on his subs

You snort at the awful joke. "What did he say?" your friends ask making you look up, "he told me a joke" you reply. "He passed the first test then" you shrug then look back down at your phone.

That was pretty awful

Did you laugh?
Because if you did I call it a success 😊

Before you can reply to Mason your friend grabs the device out of your hand. The sudden action makes you shout in protest while trying to reach for the phone. "I'm gonna tell him that you snorted and then no more phone for the night" she explains then proceeds to type something quickly. You know that there's no room for protest so you slump into the couch cushion waiting for your friend to hand your phone back. "Alright, I swear that I didn't embarrass you, but now no phones allowed" you nod and she gives you the device, which you power off before placing on the side table. The focus of the group goes back to the nostalgic movie playing on the tv. Mason is at the back of your mind the whole time, but you hold back from talking about him for the sake of the girls night it is meant to be.

••••

A couple of hours later all of your friends are asleep on the couches. You quietly get up from your spot, taking your phone with you into the other room. With one last check that they're asleep you turn on the device. Swiftly turning off any sounds that may chime from notifications. You bite your lip while opening up the dating app, seeing the small red 1 at the corner of the app icon. You roll your eyes at the message about your laughter and the phone ban your friend sent, then read Mason's reply.

Sounds like a rule my sister would implement

You smile at the new information about the gorgeous man. Thinking about what to send before just sticking to the topic of siblings.

You have a sister? Any other siblings?

The phone ban has lifted???

Everyone fell asleep so I broke the rule 😋

A rule breaker? I don't know if this'll work Y/N 🧐

Clearly you're a bad influence Mason, I wouldn't be for anyone else

Are you saying that I'm worth the consequences?

No of course not, I don't even know you 😇

You must like how I look then, there's no other explanation
Are you looking to get lucky Y/N 😏

If lucky means you paying for all of my coffees then yes

"This is where you are!" You jump at the voice, spinning around to see one of your friends standing in the doorway leading to the kitchen. She notices the phone in your hand, she crosses her arms across her chest and lifts an eyebrow. "Are you doing what I think you are?" you shrug innocently then lower the device. "I'm just checking the weather for tomorrow" you lie, she rolls her eyes, "what's the forecast? chance of Mason chatting you up?" you smile, "that was pretty good" she laughs, "I know right, came up with it on the spot" you put the phone on the counter then hug her. "Love you and your jokes" she sighs, "same Y/N, which is why I don't want him to be like every other twat on dating apps" you hum in agreement, "only time will tell" she squeezes you one last time then pulls you back to the living room where your other friends are still asleep.