Prove Me Wrong 2 - Mason Mount

After many times of looking at the autograph card that held Mason's number you finally put it to use. Your fingers tremble as you tell a complete stranger the reason behind your wariness of footballers.

Mason, it's because when I was in secondary the footballers at my school did everything in their power to humiliate me. The name calling, the teasing and the awful gestures directed at me because I liked reading instead of sports and was introverted instead of the life of the party. I can't forget about something like that. I hope you understand why i acted the way I did. A truly bad day that has followed me around since I was fifteen...

Once you've send the paragraph to him you leave the messages app and turn off your phone. As if it will make you not think about Mason's reply or lack there of. Your method of further distracting yourself includes your best mates from Uni. Who gladly take it upon themselves to keep your mind off of the footballer but only after they get the full story about Mason and that day in the library.

••••

A couple of days go by without a reply to your message. Your once hopeful attitude that Mason would be different slowly disappears. You scold yourself for thinking that after three spoken words with the guy he'd somehow change your view of athletes. What you don't know is that Mason is out of country with Chelsea, busy with training and promotional events for their latest Champions League matchup. He once again forgot to turn off airplane mode meaning he doesn't see your message.

The disappointment you feel is quickly swept under the rug when your mates convince you to go to a club with them. In your usual introverted manner you don't stop them when they decide to dress you up in something you would never normally wear. For once you're thankful for their handiwork. It's their infectious positive attitude and your need to forget Mason that makes you excited to go out when you often dread the thought of being in a space with tons of drunk people.

You and your mates decide to stay sober so the night of dancing and laughing is fuelled by water. Even then you have to stop yourself from checking your phone between dances for texts. When another water run has to happen you volunteer to get the drinks from the bar. As you wait to get the bartender's attention you see someone come stand next to you in your peripherals. "Let me help" a deep voice says making you turn your head. The handsome man lifts his arm, gaining the attention of the busy bartender in seconds. "No fair you're tall" you mumble making him laugh, "that's a weird way of saying thank you" he says while lifting an eyebrow in your direction. You blush under his gaze, your fingers playing with the hem of your body hugging skirt, a nervous tick that you can't seem to kick. "What're you having beautiful?" you look at him then the bartender waiting for your orders, "four waters" you shout over the music, the woman behind the bar smiles then nods. "Didn't expect that" the man replies once he has given his own order for water, "we're not big drinkers, we would rather have fun without alcohol" you explain then shrug. His smile has you feeling some type of way so you bite your lip, automatically drawing his attention there.

Somewhere during talking to the nice man you forget about Mason's non-reply to your text. It means that you start to fully enjoy your evening while bringing the new acquaintance over to your mates. He calls over his own group of mates to make it a true party that lasts into the early morning. It's when the handsome man starts to ask you to go home with him that your phone vibrates with a notification. After ignoring it once it vibrates three more times making you huff in annoyance. "I'm sorry it could be important" you tell him sheepishly, he nods so you take out your phone to see a bundle of messages from Mason waiting on your lock screen. You shake your head in disbelief at his timing. "Everything alright?" you look up at the man you met tonight, "yeah everything's fine, it's not important" he smiles so you put your phone away then accept his offer to leave with him, a few lust filled kisses shared as he drives you two to his place, your thoughts about Mason forgotten once more.

••••

Once you get back to your flat the next day, you have no regrets from the fun you had the previous night. It's only when your phone vibrates that you remember Mason. You decide to change out of last night's outfit before handling the text messages from the footballer.

Shit Y/N I'm so sorry
I had a bunch of away matches out of the country
I forgot to turn off airplane mode
On behalf of all footballers I'm truly sorry about the assholes that treated you like that

You read the string of messages while eating lunch, hating that your heart flutters by then end of his rambling. Some of your hope comes back but you still hesitate to text him. Your fingers hovering over the keyboard while you bite your lip. Eventually you swipe out of the app without replying to Mason, needing some time to come up with a response. For the remainder of the day you stay in, texting your mates for advice about the situation between episodes of Gilmore Girls.

It's well after 10pm when you finally reply to Mason. The only light in the room coming from your phone screen.

The amount of times I nearly threw out your number is unimaginable
then you leave me hanging for days
I was convinced that you were one of those assholes

I don't give out my number to just anyone Y/N
I want to fix this
How can I make it up to you?

Mason, prove to me that you aren't like them
I don't want you to be like them
Pls don't be like them

Okay
Be ready because I'm about to sweep you off your feet 😊

You lower your phone, staring at your bedroom ceiling wondering and hoping that Mason does as he promises. A small smile sneaking onto your face before you fall asleep.