Insecure - Daniel Ricciardo

A/N just discovered Sasha Sloan and her songs are masterpieces, I attached one of them up top 😍

When Daniel asked you to be his girlfriend after a year of skirting around yours and his feelings you gladly said yes. Deciding to keep it under wraps at the beginning was mutual, wanting to enjoy the privacy that the media and fans would invade if it caught wind. While there were advantages to keeping the relationship private, there were also disadvantages that included not being able to go on dates in public and no kind of pda whenever the two of you did go somewhere together.

You've finally had enough of the secretive relationship with the Aussie so you decide to post one of the many photos you have with Daniel to your Instagram. The simple heart emoji you put as the caption feels like the perfect descriptor of the picture making you smile while you bite your lip. Minutes later the Mclaren driver calls, you answer realizing that you should've told him your plan before posting. "Y/N, I thought we weren't going to tell anyone on social media" he says through the phone, you sigh before catching a loose strand of hair to play with, "I know, but is it bad of me to want to flaunt my spectacular boyfriend?" you reply. He laughs, "no I just thought..." "I want to be able to hold your hand and kiss you, and I want to go on dates with you at actual restaurants" you say cutting him off. He sighs, "I want that too beautiful" you bite your lip gently while gathering your thoughts, "then we should do it Dan" he chuckles, which makes me smile, "okay I'm in Y/N" you throw a fist into the air feeling like you've won a competition, not aware yet of what will come with the relationship being out in the open.

••••

You were sitting next to Daniel when he posted a photo of the two of you on his Instagram, "are you sure? I can still delete it" you nod with a huge smile on your face, "yes I'm positive" he takes your hand and squeezes it gently. You tilt your head up to kiss his cheek, "can we go on a date now?" you murmur making the Aussie laugh, "don't you want to plan it more?" he replies, "no, I want to dress up really fancy and go have an amazing dinner with my boyfriend" he turns his head to press a soft kiss to your lips, "sounds good to me, let's go darling" you hop off the couch and run to the bedroom in his apartment to find the perfect dress for the occasion, knowing that you stored some in his closet for times like these. You end up having a perfect night with Daniel, relishing in the feeling of being able to show your affection for the race car driver while in public for once in your relationship.

As the fans and media caught wind that Daniel was off the market, articles started coming out with the photos the two of you posted on Instagram. Which then resulted in your follower count rising quickly overnight and comments being added to the post that by now has cycled through the F1 world. You definitely weren't blind to the less than nice comments that would pop up amongst the nicer ones, but you told yourself it didn't matter because Daniel chose you.What you didn't realize was that the comments did have an impact mentally, but it didn't come to light until you went to your first race weekend as his girlfriend. 

••••

Walking into the venue next to Daniel with his hand in yours makes the smile on your face practically blinding. You weren't quite used to the media taking pictures of the two of you, and it must be apparent in your wide eyes because Daniel squeezes your hand reassuringly. You relax at the gesture while looking up at at him, "you okay?" he asks quietly, "yeah, I'll get used to it" you reply, he smiles and you continue walking through the entrance gates. 

Daniel stops a few seconds later when he spots Max an his girlfriend, that's when you remember the comments from your Instagram saying that you don't measure up to the other F1 girlfriends, your gaze takes in her perfectly chosen outfit before you look down at your own, which consists of a t-shirt and some denim shorts with a pair of flip flop on your feet. Before you can get too down on yourself Daniel brings you into the conversation, introducing you to the couple, who smile at you kindly. The next couple you encounter is Charles and his girlfriend, who are extremely nice to you, each of them pulling you into a hug, even with the nice welcome you still feel self conscious as you tug at the hem of your shorts feeling plain when meeting these girlfriends who are dressed in outfits that make them look like models. 

You don't realize that Daniel has noticed the change in your mood until he pulls you into his driver's room and shuts the door. "What's wrong Y/N?" you look up at the Australian not wanting to admit what you're feeling so you just shrug in response and sit down while keeping your gaze downwards. Hands come to your knees before Daniel appears in your vision, crouching in front you, "that's not a valid answer, i'm not leaving until you tell me what's wrong" you look into his dark brown eyes seeing that he's not kidding, he will truly stay here until you give him an answer. He brings a hand up to your cheek stroking it softly, "there were these comments on Instagram, saying that the other girlfriends are on another level than me and that I can't measure up" Dan's hand tightens on your knee as you look away from him. "Y/N that's not true at all" you furrow your eyebrows, he takes your chin gently before tilting it upwards, "you are perfect darling, don't let those social media clowns tell you otherwise" you giggle, "clowns" he smiles and presses a kiss to your lips. "Those girls are so nice and they don't care what people on the internet say" you nod and he stands up again making you look up. 

"I love you" you say with a smile, he grins and presses a kiss to your forehead, "love you Y/N" he murmurs. You lean back on the couch with a sigh, "is this outfit too simple for race day?" you suddenly ask still remembering the outfits that other girlfriends were wearing, "no, there's no reason to go all out for a race, if you're comfy in that it's perfect" Daniel replies making you feel better as you stand up, he lifts an eyebrow as you go to leave the room, "i'm going to go find Charlotte, she seems cool" you explain. He kisses your head before letting you leave to go find Charles' girlfriend, hoping that she'll keep you company during the race. You feel a smile coming to your face as you walk through the paddocks, a skip to your step now that Daniel has lessened the insecurities that came forward due to social media.