Happy Birthday - Daniel Ricciardo

You never made a big fuss when it came to your birthday and this year was no different. The only thing you had hoped for was to spend the day with Daniel, like you have been for the past few years of being together. The night before the official day of your birthday his call deflated your only hope. "I'm so sorry darling, I tried to get out of it but I gotta be here since I'm the new guy" the Aussie tells you through the phone, he doesn't see the way your smile slips off your face, "it's okay, I understand" you reply knowing how important it is for Daniel to make a good impression at McLaren. "I know that you're frowning, I promise that I will make it up to you Y/N" he says making you smile because he knows you so well, "I know, but you gotta focus on them for a bit and then I'll have you to myself after" he chuckles so you feel slightly better. "I love you darling, and don't let your friends have too much fun with you because then there won't be any left for me" you giggle and curl up under your covers, "I love you Dan, I'll try my hardest to contain the fun" he sighs and you bite your lip, "Night, sleep tight" you nod even though he can't see you, "night handsome" you say and slowly hang up the call before placing the device on the nightstand and going to sleep.

••••

The next day your friends wake you up by singing very loudly and off tune smiling as they serve you breakfast in bed. You try to put on your most convincing smile as they drag you out of bed an hour later. They leave you to get dressed quickly before taking you out to do some of your favourite things in the city where you guys reside. "Look we know it sucks that Daniel can't be here but we're here for you babe" your one friend exclaims as you walk down the sidewalk to the next activity planned. You realize that you aren't being totally fair to them after they've planned the whole day for your birthday so you look at your friends apologetically, "I'm sorry, I love you guys, I'll be better from now on" you say and they smile at you, "we love you Y/N, maybe not as much as Daniel but a close second for sure" you laugh and they drag you to walk faster.

The three of you stumble back through the front door of your shared house giggling. "Thanks for today" you say with a grin, they bring you into a group hug, "you're so welcome bestie, but we have one more thing planned, it isn't a birthday without a fancy dinner" one of your friends says while pulling away. "You're not wrong" you mumble and drop your things by the door before flopping onto the couch with a sigh. "Age catching up to you Y/N" you groan and throw a pillow at your friend who dodges it before taking your hand to pull you off the furniture. "No resting babe, we gotta get glammed up for dinner" she exclaims happily and pushes you into your room.

You sigh but drag yourself to the bathroom where you take a shower before doing anything else. Once you've cleaned up you pat yourself dry and pad over to your closet only wearing your bra and panties. Your eyes immediately go to the dress that you've been saving for this occasion, remembering how excited you were about the fact that Daniel would love you in it. With a dejected sigh you grab the garment and easily slide into the soft material that accentuates your body perfectly. You proceed to put on some light makeup, taking a step back from the mirror to get a complete view of the look, tilting your head slightly with a smile all the reasons you loved the dress coming back to your mind. The doorbell ringing breaks your focus making you furrow your eyebrows in confusion, not excepting anyone. You hear your friends running down the hall so you grab your clutch and walk out of your room to see what had them so excited.

As you walk into the living room you let out a gasp, your purse slipping out of your hand. You look at Daniel who is standing in the entryway, wearing a perfectly tailored suit talking to your friends. He notices you a huge grin coming to his face, you run over to him and throw your arms around his neck nearly knocking him off balance. "Happy Birthday gorgeous" he murmurs and kisses your head, "Dan what are you doing here?" you ask while pulling away slightly, "I wanted to surprise you" he replies while his hands move to your hips, "but-" he chuckles, "I made it up, couldn't ruin it" he cuts you off. You giggle, "you're going to be the end of me" he shrugs and you press your lips to his moving your hand to the side of his face as he tries to deepen the kiss in the doorway of your house. "Okay lovebirds we're still here" you giggle into Dan's lips pulling away to peer over at your friends who are already in their pjs, "wait you're not coming?" They shake their heads, "hell no babe, this night is for you and Daniel" you blush and the Aussie squeezes your hip gently. You mouth a thank you to them and they smile, "ready?" you look up at your boyfriend and nod, he moves a hand to yours before pulling you out of the house. "Happy Birthday Y/N, I hope it's everything you hoped it would be" he murmurs while pulling you close, "it is, I'm so happy" you reply and press a kiss to his cheek before getting into his car to have a great evening alone.