Prove Me Wrong 4 - Mason Mount

In the next few weeks of texting and hanging out with Mason, he becomes an important part of your life. So much so that your closest mates never miss the opportunity to tease you when you can't keep your eyes off of your phone during a girls night. "How's your hubby?" one mate asks, gaining your attention, "he's not my hubby, also don't call anyone that it's awful" you reply making the group laugh. "What else should we call the lad that has you distracted like this? your boyfriend? your footy fling?" you shake your head at them, "he's just a friend" they give each other knowing looks, "that might've been true before but Y/N I think it's a bit more than that" you pick up your mocktail to take a big drink to avoid responding.

"He isn't like them babe" one of them mentions, bringing up the exact reason why you're afraid to admit your more than friendly feelings for Mason. When you don't say anything and still avoid their stares, one of them sighs. "I was there too you know, I took shit from those teenage footballers" you look up at your longest standing mate, "I can tell you right now that Mason is NOT like that, you should trust him" it means more to hear the sentiment from her because she was the first to meet the Chelsea player that has inserted himself into your life. "I do trust him" you mumble then put your glass down, "then let the poor lad in, put him out of his misery" she replies with a small smile on her face. The words echo in your mind the rest of the evening and throughout the next couple of days.

••••

One morning when getting ready for class you can't be bothered with your contacts so you slide on your glasses. The relaxed outfit you decide to wear further shows how little effort you put in before eating a quick breakfast. You ignore bystanders during your tube ride to Uni, half asleep as music plays through your earbuds to motivate you to keep going to lecture this close to graduation. Once you get to campus you focus on getting through the next few hours of droning professors and vigorous note taking.

As you are walking across campus to head to the tube station after your lectures you are so focused on your phone that you don't notice the familiar car and man waiting by the curb. You're humming to the song playing in your ear when arms suddenly come around you, panic spikes as you look up then to the side. When you see the familiar brown eyes and dimpled smile hidden under a ball cap you relax. "Don't you know not to sneak up on a woman who's distracted?" you say while turning to face him, "I called your name at least three times, how else was I supposed to get your attention?" he explains. Your mouth forms an oh before you smile sheepishly at Mason.

Then you process the fact that he's at your Uni. "Wait what're you doing here? Did I forget about something we planned? Shit, I'm sorry Mase" he places his hands on your shoulders which calms you down. "I just wanted to surprise you Y/N, you didn't forget anything, except telling me that you wear glasses" he says with another grin. You blush but he takes your hand before you can retreat, "let me drive you home" you nod in response and let him lead you to his car where you slide into the passenger seat while he holds the door open. He slides into the driver's seat moments later, swiftly pulling away from the curb in front of the university campus.

Once Mason stops the car in front of your building the statement about letting him in echos in your mind. You don't realize how stuck in your head you are until a hand comes to yours. "Y/N what's wrong?" the simple question brings a smile to your lips while turning to him. "Do you want to come up?" he seems shocked at first but then quickly nods with a smile on his face. "You can park in my spot" you add then direct him toward the car park for the building. There's a skip to your step as you take Mason's hand to lead him into the building for the first time since you've met.

"I've gotta warn you that it's no palace, but it's my little piece of the world" you explain just before unlocking the door to your flat. "I'm sure it's perfect Y/N" he murmurs then squeezes your hand, which is still locked with his from when you initially took it outside. You smile then step inside the place you call home, Mason follows your lead. You drop your bag on the floor and kick off your slides. "It's so cozy Y/N" he murmurs, you nod then lead him into the living space. "I want to tell you about secondary" you blurt out, he lifts his eyebrows at your statement, "are you sure?"he replies but you tug him over to the couch. You sit first before urging him to do the same. "Yes, because I trust you and I want you to know not only the good but the bad" he nods then his expression grows serious, you slide your hands into his and take a deep breath. "I grew up around all of the same people, the football crazy boys included, they stayed on the pitches when we were young but it changed in secondary" Mason moves his thumbs along your knuckles, which makes you keep talking, "this was before I was comfortable with contacts and I had a mouth full of metal, for some reason it attracted their attention in the worst possible way" you go on to tell him everything about your experience in secondary.

"No wonder you hate football, anyone would after that kind of treatment" he says then shakes his head. You tilt your head and a small smile appears on your face, "hated...past tense" you reply so Mason's lips quirk into a smile as well, "yeah?" he asks, you lift a hand to brush your thumb against his stubbly cheek. "You proved me wrong Mase" he brings your body closer to his in one quick movement and the proximity makes your heart flutter. "Then i've done my job correctly" you hum quietly and tilt your head up so that your noses touch, "you've actually gone above and beyond" his gaze stays on yours as he lifts his hand to cradle your jaw. "Are you saying that you like me? because that means we must be in an alternate universe" you roll your eyes so he chuckles quietly. The pleasant sound reverberates through your body and draws a smile to your face. "I like you too Y/N, have since I saw you stocking the shelves at the library" you shove his shoulder, "don't joke about that" he catches your hand before he brings it to his chest, "i'm not, why do you think I took a chance and left the note for you" his eyes convey his sincerity. There on the couch in your tiny living room sitting across from Mason you let down your final barrier so your body loses its tension. He notices the shift but before he can talk you press your lips against his, this time he tenses up but it only lasts for a split second before he pulls you flush to him. The embrace a way to officially seal the feelings you hold for each other after many weeks of dancing around them nervously. Mason proving that the past happened but the future can be different when you put in the effort.