Masquerade - Daniel Ricciardo

A/N oooooo baby this one is long

"You HAVE to come Y/N, when are you gonna go to a masquerade ball in Monaco ever again in your life?" Your best friend pleads while giving you her best puppy dog eyes, hands clasped together while standing in the doorway of your bedroom. Your lips are pursed while looking at the blonde, "I have so much to do for this project at work" you explain from your desk, "which is why you need a break for one night" she interjects walking into the room sitting on the end of your bed. The two of you stare at each other for a few seconds, you finally sigh looking away knowing that she's right and that you need a break before you burnout like you always did at university. She smiles clapping happily, "okay I'll go, but I don't have anything to wear" you tell her, she smirks before running out of the room. You shake your head turning back to your computer to finish a part of the project for work.

Minutes later the blonde reappears at your door a garment bag in hand. "I might've already gotten you something" she explain sheepishly, "wow what if I would've said no?" she shrugs as she comes into the room hanging the bag on your closet door. You turn to her giving her all of your focus, "I know that it's something you wouldn't usually wear but it's a masked ball so being someone else is okay for a change" she starts, you nod and she unzips the bag revealing a gold floor length dress. Your eyes are wide as you stand to see it closer, "wow it's amazing" you say touching the fabric your hand moving to the low neckline, "it's not your typical ball gown that masked balls ask for but who says we need to be typical" she says with a proud smile, "thank you" she grins and tugs you into a hug, "you're welcome babe, now finish your work stuff because we have a long afternoon of getting ready ahead of us" you let go and nod watching her leave the room before turning back to the gorgeous dress for a few more seconds.

A hour later you finally close your laptop with a sigh, leaning back in your chair closing your eyes. "Oh good you're done" you open your eyes seeing your best friend smiling at you from the doorway, "yes i'm done, but give me a sec to relax before you start to torture me about getting ready" she laugh but does as I ask walking away. You close your eyes again smiling at the silence surrounding you sitting there for a few more seconds before opening your eyes and standing to go take a shower. Once you're clean you walk back into your room to see your blonde friend sitting on the bed looking down at her phone, "perfect I can do your hair and makeup now" you blink a little lost, "why do I need makeup i'm wearing a mask" she shakes her head, "no, your mask will be makeup babe" she tells you with a grin. "That's actually so smart, saves me from having to carry something extra" she nods and pulls you back to the bathroom where she makes you sit as she pulls out the makeup bag you didn't realize she was holding.

••••

"You know I didn't think it would go with the dress but I'm in love with the makeup mask" you say while looking at yourself in the mirror, "you're welcome Y/N, now let's get out of here and get to the hotel" she exclaims and takes your hand to pull you out of the apartment you share. Once in the car you peer over at your friend, "how did you even get an invite to this?" she smiles, "a girl at work is dating someone who organized the event and she had a few extra tickets so I jumped on them" you nod and focus on the road ahead as she starts the car. You keep your hands in your lap even if you're tempted to bring them to your face, the blonde next to you would hit you if you ruined the makeup she spent hours on so you avoid your face at all costs. "I feel like we're in some romance novel, going to a masquerade where there will be men who will sweep us off our feet" you explain with a laugh, "wouldn't that be something, finding men who aren't trash" she replies with a laugh of her own, we fall into a silence for the rest of the drive to the hotel that is holding the event.

When you step out of the car at the hotel entrance you immediately feel everyones eyes on you, this makes you blush as you wait for your best friend to join you. "This was a horrible idea" you mumble as the two of you walk into the hotel, "no it was a great idea and you look like a princess" she replies. You look over at the blonde who is grinning at you. "Just relax Y/N, I can feel how tense you are" you sigh looking away from her, "lets get a drink in you" she adds before pulling you to the mini bar set up in the ballroom. The first time you feel his gaze on you is when you're waiting for the bartender to finish making your drink, you ignore the feeling as you focus on what your friend is telling you about her last unsuccessful date. You let out a laugh at a particularly funny part of the story taking your drink before you two walk over to your table.