Clumsy - Daniel Ricciardo

A/N party shirt Dan is a favourite :) also just a jam from Olivia O'Brien :P neither of these have to do with the theme of this but I'm still gonna include them LOL

You ended up getting a volunteer position at the Canadian Grand Prix, which got you both experience and credit for the last year of your university program. After making accommodations in Montreal weeks in advance you finally get to the host city. The week of training does nothing but get you even more excited for the Formula 1 race weekend to come. The last day of training you receive your ID badge and uniform for the event bringing the kind of joy that is only felt when you get to be a part of something really great.

••••

When it's the Thursday before the race you're scheduled in to be runner for press conferences. At first you're surprised by your role, but once you've processed it you are determined to be professional about the matter and not let your excitement get the best of you. Once at the venue you quickly text your supervisor that you have arrived before going to drop off your belongings in the volunteer area. Minutes after that you have your ID around your neck and you go out to find the lead, who will tell you where you need to be for the day.

Halfway through the day you've got your duties more or less figured out as you travel between several different press conferences. As you wait for the latest driver press conference to clear out you quickly start to straighten the chairs, the neat freak in you appearing on its own. Suddenly your foot gets caught between some legs of the chairs, your clumsy nature meaning that your reaction time is beyond horrible as you shoot forwards toward the ground. Before you completely face plant a hand catches your arm pulling you back upright. Your cheeks turn red in embarrassment as your heartbeat slows back down.

"Thank you" you start to say as you turn to your unknown saviour, but the last part of the statement catches in your throat as you look up to find Mclaren driver Daniel Ricciardo looking down at you. "I was going to ask if you hit hit your head but I don't think it got anywhere close to any solid objects there" he says the Australian accent that you've only ever heard in videos very present in his voice, your face heats up even more, "I can't believe you witnessed that, please pretend that none of it happened" you exclaim mortified that out of everyone in the room he was the one that saw you at your clumsiest. "Can't do that unfortunately, I kind of saved your life so you owe me" you shake your head a smile creeping onto your face, "I'll never be able to repay you Mr Ricciardo" he scoffs, "damn don't make me feel old, just call me Dan and don't you worry Y/N I'll come up with something" he adds with a smile before walking out of the room, leaving you speechless after the whole interaction. Someone talks on the radio clipped to your shirt bringing you back to the present, you shake your head and listen to the volunteer lead who is requesting you on the other side of the venue for another task to finish off your first day at the Grand Prix.

••••

The next day brings practice sessions, teams set to be streaming in and out of the venue for their allocated times. You and some of the other volunteers get spread out around the venue for a variety of tasks, getting rotated or switched out every few hours. For a reason you can't figure out your supervisor keeps you either by the team paddocks or the pit lane, her only explanation being that you did good during the press conferences in terms of staying professional around the drivers. You don't question it as you set off to do the tasks assigned to ensure smooth sailing for spectators and teams. When you are told over the radio to make your way to the pit lane, you confirm the request before walking over.

As you arrive to your new position you see that Ferrari and Mclaren are the only teams out by the garages. You check the practice schedule seeing that Mclaren is finishing and Ferrari will be going onto the track in minutes. You don't realize that you're veering towards the road way when you're talking on your radio until arms pull you to the side, a Ferrari car speeding by seconds later. "Shit that was too close" you mumble with wide eyes, "is this going to become a normal thing?" you look towards the familiar voice to see Daniel who's arms are still around you from pulling you out of harms way. Your face heats up so you look away from the Australian, "i'm the clumsiest person you will ever meet, so give me a break here" he laughs making you smile shyly. He lets go of you before slowly backing away towards the Mclaren garage, "you owe me even more now Y/N" he says with a grin. You watch him turn around to continue walking, then you realize you never told him your name, "wait! how did you know my name?" you yell, he peers over his shoulder, "your ID badge" he replies and winks at you, the gesture makes you blush again, not understanding how he has such an effect when you're usually very composed in a professional setting.