Déjà Vu - Daniel Ricciardo

A/N was listening to Olivia Rodrigo when I started this so yeah 😅

You can't help but notice the gorgeous brunette walking next to Daniel, she's smiling at him as they enter the paddock sparking jealousy within you. The emotion makes you huff before shaking your head, hating that you keep going in circles with the Aussie who used to be your one and only. Your Aston Martin co-worker brings you back to the present with a touch of your arm. "Hey are you okay?" she asks with concern in her voice. You show her your most convincing smile, "yeah i'm good, let's go" she doesn't look convinced by your reply but keeps quiet as the two of you make your way back to Aston Martin hospitality. The two of you quickly get pulled into the organized chaos that is a race weekend, making you forget about the unwanted feelings that arose.

When you finish your contributing task you quietly slip away from the various team members still working. Their laughter rings throughout the garage as you make your way back to hospitality where you know you'll find a more comfortable viewing area for qualifying. Steps away from the automatic doors you see Daniel jogging across the paddock towards McLaren's garage, you frown and turn your gaze towards the dark green Aston Martin building. Completely unaware that the Aussie spotted you in the process, and stopped for a split second before continuing on his way. After getting some food you pick a seat in the lounge area where you can see the broadcast of qualifying, your gaze first going to RIC before rerouting to focus on the names of both Aston drivers on the leaderboard.

Qualifying finishes so you gather your things before leaving the lounge to go congratulate Lance and Seb on their sessions. As luck would have it you stumble into someone while your head is lowered to check your phone. "I'm so so-" you begin before looking up, the words catching in your throat at the sight of Daniel, who has his hands at your sides. The warmth of his hands remind you of the past, giving you a sense of déjà vu in the split second of your eyes locking on his, "you were always so distracted" he replies with a smile that makes your heart flutter. You shake your head while looking away from the Aussie, "I have to go" you mumble and step out of his hold, walking at first before jogging towards the garages, not able to deal with the way he still makes you feel.

••••

The next day you're glad that it's the day of the race, because it means that you won't have the time to think about Daniel. When you get to the circuit you make a beeline for Aston Martin, not seeing the Aussie that is nearby and waiting. Steps away from the doors you're pulled aside into a hidden corner, but before you can ask any questions lips are on yours. After a couple of seconds you pull away, somehow not surprised that Daniel is the one that pulled you aside. He keeps his hand at the side of your face while smiling, "you have a girlfriend" is what you say to break the silence, "she's definitely not you" he replies, you step away from him with a frown, spinning around to go into Aston Martin hospitality. The guilt you feel as you try to accomplish any kind of task makes you sigh and rub your temples in frustration. "You okay Y/N?" you look up from your task to see a co-worker watching you curiously, "yeah, at least I will be" he nods and pats your shoulder before leaving you to your own devices.

You don't realize how long you've been struggling to accomplish one task until you hear the familiar sound of engines roaring to life. A curse leaves your lips as you jump up and break into a jog to get to the Aston Martin garage to watch the start of the race. Walking into the garage you take a few breaths, your eyes finding a screen to see all the cars lined up as the lights go off. Unconsciously your fingers go up to your lips as you think about the brief but passionate kiss shared with Daniel. The voice in your head tells you to stop kidding yourself, but your heart, or whats left of it, reminds you that you were once the one by his side, experiencing this circus through rose coloured glasses.

••••

Eventually the race finishes, interviews conclude and the only ones left at the track are mechanics and the crews packing up for the next race. You find yourself still sitting in Aston Martin hospitality with the clock striking 10, yawning as you finally finish the task you've been struggling with all day. With slow movements you pack up your things and stand up from where you've been sitting for most of the day, stretching your arms before slinging your bag over your shoulder. You sigh and walk out of the building, waving at the remaining Aston Martin team on the way out. As soon as you're outside you take a deep breath and smile up at the dark sky, the motion sparking a memory you had forgotten about. The night where you and Daniel managed to sneak away early from your teams going through your mind. With a shake of your head you will away the memory looking back down at the pavement as you walk towards the exit of the circuit.

Out of nowhere a hand grabs yours, making you look up as you get dragged into a run. The familiar Aussie smiles over his shoulder at you, a major sense of déjà vu washing over you at the scene he's mimicking. "Let's go on an adventure" he exclaims, the words being the same ones from that night you remember so clearly. You pull him to a sudden stop, "what are you playing at Daniel?" you ask while frowning, "nothing Y/N" he replies the smile not leaving his face, "I can't keep doing this with you, the constant déjà vu at every race weekend drives me crazy" his smile dims at your statement. "What are you-" he stops talking when you hold up a hand, "don't pretend like you have no idea what you're doing, I was there the first time, and no matter how many times you recreate the things we did with other girls we're still not together anymore" he pulls you closer by your hands.

His gaze softening as he looks down at you, "why not Y/N? I wanted nothing more than to be with you but then something changed and I have no idea what made you go" you sigh while looking down at your intertwined hands trying to come up with an answer that will make sense to the Aussie. He lets go of your hand and gently takes hold of your chin to tilt your head upwards, "please talk to me Y/N" you look into his dark eyes and take a shaky breath, "I was scared, we fell into everything so quickly, I got overwhelmed so I left" he shifts his hand to move his thumb along your cheek, "why didn't you say anything?" you feel your bottom lip tremble, "I didn't want to be a burden when you had so many things to worry about already" he sighs and pulls you to his chest, bringing his arms around you tightly, "you could never be a burden Y/N" he murmurs into your hair. Your fingers curl into his tshirt as you close your eyes tightly, "I'm so sorry for leaving" you reply, your voice catching at the end, "it's alright, but you gotta promise to talk to me if you ever feel any doubts" you loosen your hold to look up at the Australian.

"We're not together Dan" he smiles and cradles your face, "well then what are we waiting for?" you look at him confused, "the girl you came to the race with..." he chuckles, "I owed her one, she did a day in the life thing for sky sports". You proceed to shove him, "you made me go crazy for no reason?!? Unbelievable" he smiles and easily pulls you flush to his chest, "it's never for no reason, you know that by now" you huff and try to wiggle out of his arms but he lowers his head to catch your lips with his. This kiss less heated than the previous one, but speaks volumes nonetheless, the way his lips move with yours makes you forget about your frustrations. After a few seconds Dan pulls away to tug you towards the track exit, where he proceeds to lead you to his McLaren with a promise of a good night before the two of you need to leave for the next race. The déjà vu finally subsiding as you make new memories with the man who pretty much had your heart since the beginning.