Was It Ever Really Over - Pierre Gasly

You were convinced that Pierre was going to be your be all and end all when you dated him just after you graduated from university in Milan. It was soon apparent that your schedule would never work with the Frenchman's, your new full time job the complete opposite of his career. Even though it nearly broke your heart, you knew that breaking up with him was the right thing for the two of you. Pierre tried everything to get you to stay but your mind was set so you ended it, not aware at the time that it wouldn't be the last you would see of him.

••••

Nearly a year later you're back at a Formula 1 track, but this time for someone else. You can't help but remember the previous times you were at a track, taking your focus away from the present where your hand is laced through your boyfriend's. "Y/N?" the Aussie asks, you tilt your head upwards to smile at Daniel, "yeah?" he squeezes your hand before pulling you to a stop. "I lost you there" you bite your lip which makes his eyebrows furrow in worry, "talk to me darling", you look down at your connected hands while releasing your lip. "I haven't been to a track since breaking it off with Pierre" you mumble unable to look into his dark eyes, afraid of what you'll see, "oh" you nod and move your finger along the tattoos on his hand. "Do you just want to wait at the hotel for me?" you bring your head up quickly and shake your head vigorously, "no, I want to be here for you" he smiles which makes you relax more, "okay, if you're sure" you nod again and he pulls you in for a brief kiss before the two of you continue to the McLaren motorhome.

A couple of minutes later you're leaving the motorhome with Lando's girlfriend, laughing about a meme she sent you earlier in the week. Your arm is linked with hers as you go find seating to watch practice one and two. As you look up from where your gaze was trained everything seems to come to a stand still when you see Pierre looking at you. She must notice how tensed up you've become because she squeezes your arm, "you okay babe?", when you don't reply she looks where you're eyes are pointed. You knew that he would be here, and you feel naïve for thinking that you wouldn't see him at some point during the weekend. "Are you gonna go talk to him?" the younger girl asks, you finally look at her, "no, I have nothing to say to him" you reply with a shrug, the expression on her face tells you that she doesn't believe a word you're saying but you ignore it and pull her towards the grandstand.

Once that first day of race weekend ends you find yourself waiting alone for Daniel, Lando having left with his girlfriend earlier in the evening. Daniel texts you that he'll be ready in a minute so you send a little smile emoji in reply before stepping out of the motorhome and shrugging on your denim jacket. "Y/N" you look up at the sound of your name, your movements freezing when you see Pierre approaching you with determination on his face. He stops in front of you, but doesn't say anything for a few seconds he just looks into your eyes making you squirm uncomfortably. "What is it Pierre?" you ask making him blink and shake his head, "when did you get together with him?" he replies, you purse your lips looking away from him, "four months ago" when he doesn't say anything you look up to see his eyebrow cocked while watching you.

"Does his schedule work better for you?" you can tell he's trying to get under your skin so you huff, "he lives in Monaco, it makes it easier to see him" Pierre scoffs, "I asked you to stay Y/N, I would've moved across the globe for you!" he exclaims, his voice getting louder. "I thought you loved me" he says quietly while looking down, his fingers going through his dark hair, "I-" you start but are cut off by Daniel's loud voice, "ready to go gorgeous?" he stops when he realizes that he walked in on something. You smile up at the Aussie, "yes i'm ready" he smiles too before kissing your head and taking your hand, "see you tomorrow man" he exclaims with a wave towards Pierre, who nods with a strained smile.

••••

The next day at the track you feel yourself yawning several times, reminding you that sleep never really came to you the night before. Daniel brought it up in the morning, you told him it was because of the excitement of race weekend and not due to the fact that you couldn't stop thinking about your brief conversation with Pierre. As he drove you to the track you could tell that he didn't believe your excuse, but you were thankful that he didn't bring it up again.