Detective Akamatsu and Saihara on the Case! - Chapter 2

Me and this boy I had just met were running down the street, catching ourselves some weird looks.

After a constant 5 minutes of running at full speed, we stop to catch our breaths.

"Aw man, this cat is nowhere!" I groaned.

The boy had his hands on his knees, panting and replies to me "It's okay.. I can find him again with the same trick I used earlier."

I looked at him in confusion. "What'd you do earlier?"

He pulled some cat treats from out of his pocket and showed it to me.

My eyes spark up and I look at him. "Awesome! Let's bait him in!"

Then, he looks down sadly for some reason. "A-Ah wait I forgot, we probably can't.. I already baited the cat in so it's probably learned by now."

Now I felt really bad. "Sorry.." I replied awkwardly.

"No, it's okay," he reassured me once again that it was fine, "Luckily, I have a solution."

"Huh? What is it?" I asked and then he immediately started dialing his phone

"Y-Yea uh, do you have another cat? You do? And they like each other? Great, can I borrow them for a second to find your other cat? A-Ah, of course you can come too though if you don't trust me! Oh, it's fine? Alright. Can I also have your cat's favorite toy? Thanks again!" He hung up the phone. He looked at me with a happy expression.

I smiled at him and clasp my hands in excitement. "You figure out how to find him?"

"A-Ah, yea. You can go home now.. if you want. Sorry I kept you here with me just to find this cat."

I shake my head rapidly. "Nuh uh, it's my fault anyways so I have to help you!" I clench my fists and put them up determinedly. "You don't need to apologize when it's not your fault!"

"Oh.. Sorry." he replied and I just pouted and looked at him.

After I finally convinced him to talk to me without apologizing, we started walking towards his client's house.

"Come to think of it, we haven't introduced ourselves yet." I ask as we are walking. "I'm Kaede Akamatsu!"

He blushed and looked towards me (eyes still covered by his hat, hmph..) "A-Ah, well I'm Shuichi Saihara." I smiled at him. We just had small talk as we were walking, he was actually a pretty nice guy.

We finally arrived at the house and Shuichi knocked and the client opened the door. I covered my eyes as a 40 year old man with a beer belly with just his boxers on opened the door.

"Ah Mr. Saihara! Here's the cat. And here's the toy" a man said passing both a plastic fish and a black cat towards him. Saihara awkwardly took it from him and nodded in thanks. "I don't need to come, I'm good friends with your uncle anyways so I trust ya'! But if you hurt my lil ol' whiskers then.. I'll have a nice chat with him." he glared at Saihara which made me even gulp.

"Alright good luck looking!" He was suddenly in a cheerful tone and slammed the door on us.

I finally uncovered my eyes and laughed. "Ahaha, that was weird.."

Saihara awkwardly laughed and scratched his head. "Yea.. A-Anyways, let's go."

"Yea! I can hold the cat for you." I replied to him cheerfully and picked up the cat as we started walking again.

"Hey anyways Saihara, what is your plan to find the cat with.. a cat?" I asked curiously.

"Hmm, well this wouldn't have worked if the cats weren't friends but luckily they are. If we buy a toy and rub some cinnamon on it, which cats love, this guy will gnaw on it. Not too much though or he'll literally die." he laughed awkwardly. "Anyways, we should place him where we last saw the other cat, he couldn't have gone too far. We place the cinnamon scented toy there with the cat and the cat we are looking for should try to steal it from him playfully. Since they like each other, he should trust the other cat enough to get lured in." he explained.