Decrescendo from Hope - Chapter 36

A.N: Much apologies for the late chapter. Although it's late I hope it's enjoyable as it is. I promise that I will still upload weekly tho!

The next day, I didn't walk Kaede to school. I texted her if I should pick her up and she said she had already started walking towards school. A familiar feeling of dread spread in my heart when reading that message..

I definitely messed things up.

Fortunately enough, from the stress I had yesterday I was able to get a decent night of sleep. In exchange I wasn't able to work on the case, so I wish I had just stayed up. I don't think things will get better until I solve the case and I'm the only one that can do that..

As I walk into class, Kaede was already sitting down. She didn't even take a moment to look at me as she was talking with Amami.. I cringed at the sight, when did they become so close? Actually, she's just making up from lost time with him so I'm sure it's fine.

That's right, it's okay!

It would probably be a bad moment to talk to her now so I decided to sit with Momota.

Or I would, if he was here.

I look around for the astronaut frantically. Harukawa notices my uneasiness and places a hand on my shoulder making me flinch.

"A-Ah, Harukawa?"

"Are you looking for Kaito?"

"Um, yea actually. Do you know where he is?"

She nods her head. "Yea, the idiot got sick." she sighed. "I don't know what happened, he texted me that he got a pretty bad cough and won't make it to class." she looked to the side with a disappointed look, playing with her hair. The sight made me laugh, it removed the uneasiness from my heart.

"Well, it's Momota so I'm sure he's fine. We don't need to worry." I assured her.

She gave an annoyed scowl as her eyebrows furrowed. "I didn't say I was worried about him." she turned away with a huff and took her seat.

Right on time, Mr. Harada walked inside. I looked at the available spot next to Kaede.. She was looking out into space, leaning on her hand. I decided to sit in Momota's empty spot, I don't think she would want to see me right now after what I did. Harukawa gave a look of confusion when I sat next to her but was interrupted as Mr. Harada walked in and began lecture.

After class, I immediately walked out. I could've sworn I saw a hand reach out to me but I ignored it. I practically crashed against the door to enter my talent development room and slammed it shut. Usually I'd be eating lunch with my friends right now but I had a job to do. Maybe if I solve this case, things will go back to normal. I won't have to worry Kaede anymore, I can prove to myself that I'm worthy to be an Ultimate, and I'll finally have time to fix everything.

All that needs to be done is solve this case. The only one that can fix everything is me.

~Perspective Change (Harukawa)~

During class, Saihara seemed pretty out of it. Despite him being so focused on grades, he didn't take any notes today. It almost freaked me out seeing him blank out and stare at the floor. It probably has something to do with Akamatsu, he's not sitting with her today. Seeing the dejected sight made me severely uncomfortable.

To be honest, Saihara has been pretty strange throughout the week. I haven't heard much from Akamatsu herself, she doesn't want to get in detail about it but I know it's something about work. I guess as a detective you would get some heavy cases, but I'm not one to talk as I'm usually the person that causes them.