Short 9 - Hanahaki

A.N: A short born from me being bored to write the next chapter. Also to test if I can write in 3rd person still. I'm assuming you know from the title what this is about. Hanahaki disease. Anyways, this is just a regular high school but they still have their ambitions and talents, but Hopes Peak and Ultimates don't exist~

TW: Angst.

Credits to @Marshtompz once again for helping me out editing the chapter. They're a real one, definitely check out their one shots cuz they're not only well written, they're really entertaining.

Saihara never wanted a girlfriend. It was an uncommon occurrence for him to even have a crush on someone; he didn't see the need to have a girlfriend at all, it would get in the way of his work.

Not until he met Kaede Akamatsu.

He hated himself for it, he couldn't suppress the way he felt around her. Just talking to her would bring happiness to the detective and her support would always motivate him. He really had so much to thank her for.

Yet he knew it would be wrong to date her.

They were in high school, he had no time to deal with relationships. He could only hope his feelings for her would go away soon. He knew it was just a silly crush anyways, he knew her for only a few months now. Their assigned seats were right next to each other and Akamatsu struck up the first conversation between them. After that, they hit it off pretty well and quickly became best friends. They were inseparable after the first week. At first, he thought she was a bit of a hindrance of how much she talked to him about stuff he didn't understand (mainly piano) but he grew to appreciate her love for her talent.

"Hey, Saihara!" a cheery voice interrupts his thoughts. He recoiled up from leaning on his desk, as he looked to the source of the voice he was greeted by a smile from the pianist. "You falling asleep on me?"

"A-Ah sorry.." he scratched the back of his head awkwardly. "Just thinking about stuff."

"What kind of stuff?" she tilted her head to the side.

"Nothing!" he quickly reassured her.

"Hmm.." she closed her eyes as she crossed her arms. "Well, I don't want to invade your personal thoughts. Just don't daydream during class." she chided the boy.

"My bad." he chuckled as he picked up his pencil.

"Akamatsu, Saihara. Please be quiet during lecture." their teacher scolded the two.

"Sorry!" Saihara apologized as he got back to writing his notes.

"Yea, sorry!"

"Yea Saihara, be quiet~" Oma chirped.

"You too, Oma." the teacher sighed.

...

After class, Saihara walked over to the cafeteria for lunch with Akamatsu. She hummed a tune to herself (that he couldn't help but find beautiful). As they made their way to a table, Akamatsu quickly looked towards the boy.

"Saihara. I need advice."

"..About what?" he questioned as he picked up his sandwich. He took a quick bite, not really thinking much of her request.

"Romance."

He spit out what was in his mouth as his eyes widened. "A-Ah, what about? Just so you know, I'm not experienced in that stuff."

"Pff.." she chortled at him bring himself down. "Don't worry. I just want to know what you'd do in this situation."

"Ah.." Saihara, with shaky hands, picked up his sandwich again. Was this about him..? No, it couldn't be. He's not special like that. "What's up?"