A Duet Together - Chapter 6

I woke up feeling well rested. Yesterday, nobody came to me about any cases, not even for a lost pet. I was glad though, it gave me time to read the novel I started. I still had to come in today though.

Today was the day I would practice a duet with Akamatsu. I was kind of nervous, I hope I wouldn't disappoint her. Well, she says that we'll play something simple enough but if I messed up, that would be embarrassing. 

I went into the kitchen to see my uncle and Fuyuka, his wife, sitting at the table eating cereal. She had jet black hair like my uncle, and her hair was in a bun. She was also wearing her notorious glasses, which I've just realized I've never seen her without. My uncle was wearing his detective outfit already. "Good morning Shuichi." she says to me and my uncle waves.

"Good morning.." 

"You gonna eat breakfast today?" She asked me.

"Nah.. I'm not really hungry." 

"Come on bud', it's like the most important meal of the day! Plus, we hardly have time to even eat together, eh?" My uncle yelled out. 

I guess I'll eat breakfast for today, it would seem a bit disrespectful not to after what he said. 

"O-Okay, I might as well." I sat down and got myself a bowl of cereal.

"Alright!" 

After we ate breakfast, me and my uncle headed to the agency as Fuyuka went to her job. 

"Hey uncle? What time is the earliest I can get out of work?"

"Hm? Any time of course. I'm telling you, you don't have to feel obligated to come you know.. You're still a teen, I want you to enjoy your summer vacation."

"Yea, I know.. But I do want to get better at my detective work." That was half a lie. I would feel bad to not help him out at the agency after he's been caring for me all this time.

"Ah yea, because you're the Ultimate Detective now.. It would suck if you went to Hopes Peak Academy a bit rusty.." he looked up as he thought. "Hm, then I guess you can leave at 4:30 today at the earliest!"

I happily nodded at him and then pulled out my phone and texted Akamatsu.

You - Hey Akamatsu, I'm coming over at around 4:45 today, is that okay?

"You got plans bud'?" he asked me as he places his hand on my hat. 

"Yea, actually. I'm starting to learn piano with my new friend recently so.."

"Ah, your girlfriend.." He closed his eyes and nodded.

"N-No! My friend, I've already said this uncle.." I frantically said.

"Haha, whatever bud'. You know I'll never stop calling her that, right? I'm basically obligated to as your guardian." I rolled my eyes at his comment.

"Anyways, what got you interested in piano all of a sudden?"

"A-Ah.. Uh, the friend I'm learning from is the Ultimate Pianist so.. It's a good learning experience I think.."

I saw my uncles eyes bulge out of his eye socket. "Woah for real?! I guess being an Ultimate gives you rights to meet other Ultimates.."

I laughed at the irony. In reality, I met her before I was an Ultimate, and she was the one that even convinced me to. I had to thank her eventually for that.

We arrived at the agency and I took a seat at my office. Suddenly I got a text and I quickly opened it.

Kaede Akamatsu - Yea, that'll work. Can't wait for practice! 🎹