Goodbye to the Past - Chapter 40

I rested on Shuichi's shoulder for a while. We cuddled together, getting back the time we had lost together. A cute blush resided on his face as I huddled up next to him. Momota and Harukawa were luckily out of the room, talking to Shuichi's uncle. I heard laughing from his uncle as Momota enthralled him with his space speeches. I couldn't exactly see Harukawa, but I could tell she was probably annoyed.

I have no time to think about that though. I grasp Shuichi tighter as he leans his head on mine. I was a blushing mess, and my eyes were almost as red as my face from crying. Do I even deserve this?

"..I love you." he mutters as he combs his fingers through my hair. It's almost like he heard my thoughts. I let out a soft smile as I whisper back.

"Love you too."

I don't deserve him. I really don't. I'm gonna make it up to him.. I'll prove to him that he's the only one I love. I have to show him I won't do anything like that again before I can consider myself clean enough to date him.

Although...

We were kinda acting like a couple already.

...

Shuichi and I walked out of the room after about 20 minutes of holding each other and appreciating one another. We muttered out things that we haven't been able to say to each other for the past week. We held each other's hands, our hearts fluttering from the nostalgic feel of our intertwined fingers.

It was only a week but it felt so long.

As we walk to the living room, Shuichi makes eye contact with his uncle. He pales as he looks towards his shoes in guilt.

"Shuichi?" I grasped his hand tighter.

"A-Ah, it's fine." he inhaled deeply. His uncle looked away from him as he continued talking to Momota with a grin.

"Did something happen?"

"I was being stubborn and yelled at him when he was trying to help me.." his voice was so soft as he spoke, he clearly felt bad about the ordeal.

"You should apologize." I give a comforting smile at him. "He'll forgive you, as long as you apologize."

"You're right. Thank you." he smiles back as he lets go of my hand and walks in front of me.

"No problem." I mutter under my breath as he takes a deep breath in.

"U-Uncle," his uncle tilted his head towards him, "I'm sorry for ignoring your advice. I was being stubborn and stupid. I-I should rely on your help in the future."

His uncle leaped up as he walked over to Shuichi. He hung his head low as his uncle approached him with a blank expression. "You don't have to forgive me."

His uncle swiftly wrapped him in a hug. "It's okay, bud'." he ruffled his dark hair, making the boy cringe.

"I-It is?"

"Of course! If you're apologizing, it means you understand now. Hell, I couldn't be more proud of you now. You've changed so much these past few months at Hopes Peak."

"Really?"

"Yup!" his uncle announced as he held him tight. "Before, you would always focus on your cases and not interact with anyone else. You talked to no one and made schoolwork and regular work your priority. You did everything by yourself. Now, look at ya'!" he pointed at the 3 of us spectators with a big grin. "You got three good friends that care about you enough to make sure you're okay. You can rely on them like you can rely on me, as your dad."

"..Dad?" Shuichi wiped away his own happy tears.

"A-Ah, shit!" his uncle let go, embarrassed. "I mean uncle."