Kara and Cat -The Birth Certificate

"Keira?" Silence. "Keeeeira?" Cat called again. "KEEE-" She was interrupted by the click of heels shuffling around the corner.

"Yes Miss Grant?" Kara sighed as she made her way towards the desk.

"Hello, dear. How are you?" Cat said sweetly... Cat was never sweet.

"Uh, um, fine?" Kara stammered. "How are you?"

"Well I just was doing a little, uh, light housekeeping, you know sorting through some files and what not. And it just so happens that I came across this one particular file I think you'll find quite interesting." Cat lifted a manilla folder out from the drawer and smoothed it out before sliding it towards Kara with a smirk. Kara hesitantly took a seat across from Cat and spread the file's contents out in front of her. The first thing to catch her eye was a black and white photo of herself climbing into a car, the picture obviously taken from afar without her knowing. It was paired with a few similar shots, with things like her leaving her apartment, arriving to work, etc.

"You had me investigated??" Kara cried. "Why?"

Cat shrugged. "I just like to keep an eye on my employees. Especially those that make me... suspicious."

"Miss Grant, we've already discussed this. I'm not Supergirl." Kara continued flipping through the papers, spotting old job applications, addresses, even a copy of her high school diploma.

"Well then I'd like to direct you to page 17," Cat said, pulling out a single sheet of paper from the stack. "Kara Danvers," she read. "In custody of National City Orphanage for exactly one month as an infant, before being mysteriously transferred somewhere else with no paper trail. Then suddenly reappearing at age 13 in National City."

"I'm adopted, so what?"

"That does not answer the question, where were you for 13 years?" Cat demanded.

"I.. uh...I'm not sure, maybe the papers got lost somewhere," Kara stammered. "Really, it's not like I remember being a baby."

"Interesting," said Cat. She leaned towards her phone and dialed a few buttons. "Clarissa, please explain to me what is taking so long....Mmhm... Mmhm... My god, Clarissa, you are not going to get arrested. Just send them over." She slammed down the phone and turned to her computer. A file started to download, slowly appearing from top to bottom. 'Birth Certificate,' said the heading.

"You hacked my birth certificate??" Kara gasped.

"The internet is a dangerous place, dear," Cat murmured, snatching the document off the printer. She adjusted her glasses and cleared her throat before she began to read. "Female child, unnamed. Born October 4th, blah blah blah, New York City, blah blah blah. Birth mo- ...wait."

"What is it?" Kara craned her neck to see what Cat was looking at.

"No. No that's not right. That can't be." Cat stood up and began frantically pacing around the room, her eyes scanning one sentence over and over again.

"Miss Grant? Miss Grant." Kara's words had no effect on her boss, who seemed to be in her own little world. After another minute of frustration, Kara stood up and snatched the paper out of Cat's hands. "Birthplace, New York City," she read. "Birth mother, Cat- .... Birth mother, Cat Grant??" Kara stopped to reread that sentence over again, convinced it was a mistake. "How is that possible?"

"I... I don't know." Cat said, trying to regain her breath.

"You don't even have any kids!"

"You're right, I don't." Cat replied, but the look on her face suggested that wasn't the whole truth.

"Miss Grant..." Kara began. "What aren't you telling me?" Kara had never seen her boss this flustered before. In fact, she'd never seen her flustered at all.

"I..." Cat stopped again to catch her breath. "I had a child. Once."

"And??"

"It was a girl. But I was so young, and barely managing my career so I.... I put her up for adoption." Cat looked like she was about to faint.

"So you're telling me that I'm your... your.."

Cat finally turned around, gazing into Kara's eyes. "Daughter," she finished.

This one took a while, I've been stuck under a pile of schoolwork the past week but here we are! I appreciate you guys for sticking with me :)

*Future Serenity here... keep reading for Part 2!*