Iris and Barry - That Time of the Month

"OKAY," Barry yelled, shutting the door behind him. "Meta transfer is done, pipeline is empty, and I am all yours."

Tonight was his and Iris' first date night in months. Between their night and day jobs their schedules just never allowed for a night off. They'd been planning this one all month, making 100% sure nothing interfered. Barry had scheduled out the entire night, starting with dinner and a play downtown, and then netflix and chill at home, emphasis on the "chill." He'd even stopped for flowers on his way home, just to make it extra special. He'd expected to find Iris dressed and ready to go, seeing as how he was cutting it pretty close himself, but she was nowhere to be found.

"Iris?" he called.

"...in here," she replied.

Barry followed her voice into their bedroom, only to find her sitting at the foot of the bed, wrapped up tight in a blanket with a grim look on her face.

"Everything okay?" He asked. "Why aren't you dressed?"

Iris shifted around, adjusting her blanket.

"I don't think I can go, Barry... I don't feel good."

"Are you sick?" He said, suddenly concerned. "Have you talked to a doctor? The flu's going around at CCPD maybe-"

"No it's not that," she said with a faint smile. "My period's just early, and it's kicking my ass."

"Oh," Barry's face softened. It was strange to hear her say that, she'd sort of kept that department to herself for as long as he could remember. After all, she'd grown up being the only girl in a house with two others guys, he and Joe had always just tried to mind their own business. "Im sorry," he said. "What can I do?"

"Nothing," she sighed. "I'm so sorry, Barry. I really wanted to go out tonight but I can barely even stand right now."

"Hey that's okay," Barry wrapped his arm around Iris, "We can always go another night, right? For now all I care about is you feeling better."

"That sounds nice, because right now I feel like absolute crap," she laughed.

Barry helped Iris out of bed and sent her off to go take a warm shower. She returned 30 minutes later only to find warm pajamas and some pills already laid out for her. When she emerged from their bedroom, Barry was waiting for her on the couch, Netflix already queued up on the TV. The curtains were open, allowing for a clear view of the starry sky.

"Barry, what's going on?" Iris asked.

"Date night doesn't have to mean going out," he smiled. "Now are we thinking Friends? Or is it more of a Gilmore Girls kind of night?"

"Friends all the way," she said, making her way over to the sofa. Barry draped a blanket around her shoulders before gently pulling her close to him, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear. He then leaned towards the coffee table and revealed two cups of hot chocolate, topped with marshmallows and cinnamon, and handed one to his girlfriend.

"Barry," Iris blushed. "You really didn't have to do all this."

"Maybe not but I already did," he laughed. "I just can't stand anything making you unhappy, I only wanted to help."

"Well you've definitely achieved that. I love you Barry Allen."

"I love you," he replied, kissing her on the cheek as he pressed play.

"You know..." Iris began slyly. "There is a way to stop this pesky period for, oh, say about nine months-"

"Shh, Ross is talking."

Slowly but surely getting back in the habit of writing. As always, comment any requests!