Brainy and Nia - Identities

"Well this is new." Nia said with uncertainty. She was filling out a form for work, Catco had updated their filing system so everyone had to fill out new paperwork. Brainy looked over to see what Nia was looking at.

"What is your species?" He read out loud. "Check the single box that applies: Alien or human."

"I didn't know the government had started asking that on these kinds of things," said Nia.

"But.." Brainy stuttered. "You're both."

"Exactly. But they want me to pick one."

"I guess it's not surprising. As far as we know, there aren't many people like you out there," he said sympathetically. "But it's still wrong. What are you going to do?"

"I'll probably just put alien. They don't care if I'm human, they just want to know if I'm an alien and no one cares even if it is just half," she replied. "That's what I've been doing lately anyway."

"This has happened before?" Brainy asked.

"Yeah, ever since the Alien Amnesty Act. It's like people think that baiting us with equal rights will get us to trust them."

"I suppose that's true," Brainy said with a sigh. "When I first arrived in this time, I chose to look like a human because I wanted to fit it and make things easier for everyone else. I didn't realize it was a big deal until.." He trailed off.

"That day at the pizza place," Nia finished for him.

"Yes. I knew that disguising myself would be easier, but I didn't realize how dangerous not doing so would be. I should have predicted that."

"Are things better in the future?" Nia asked.

"Much. In my time, humans and aliens are equal, truly equal. A human is not seen as generous for having respect for others. It is just considered normal." The tension in Brainy's voice grew stronger.

"It sounds beautiful." Nia said. "That's what I love so much about Parthas. I was able to be myself, both alien and human."

"And you should be allowed to do that here, too." Brainy said, becoming increasingly frustrated.

"It's okay, Brainy," Nia said, trying to calm him down.

"It's not," he yelled. "Nia Nal, you are such an incredible person. You are human and alien, not one or the other. Your human side, that is what gives you your enchanting eyes, your beautiful hair, your powerful mind. Your alien side gives you courage, power, your unthinkable abilities. They cannot undermine your identity simply due to fear." He stopped to take a breath, his eyes finally meeting Nia's. "I just want you to know how special you are, Nia Nal."

Nia's eyes became shiny with tears, before narrowing valiantly. "Screw the system," she said, picking up her pen and checking off both boxes with a flourish. "I love you, Querl Dox," she said, pulling him close.

Should I do more Brainia stuff? It's such an underrated ship. Let me know :)