Snowbarry - Time to Think

This was Caitlin's third night in a row at Barry's apartment, although she wished it were under better circumstances. It had been three days since Zoom killed Barry's father and he wasn't taking it well. He had barely spoken since that night, showing up to work, doing what needed to be done to keep the city safe, then immediately heading back home. Caitlin wasn't sure why she felt so compelled to care for Barry, maybe it was because she remembered how hard it was to lose her own father, but she had been there every night. She made sure he remembered to eat and kept his apartment in order, sleeping on the couch in his living room just as she had done for Cisco after Dante died.

It hurt Caitlin to her core watching Barry go through this pain and not being able to fix it. Of course she had feelings for him, but he didn't know that. No one did.

She was stirring a pot on the stove when Barry emerged from his room, his hair still damp from the shower.

"Chicken soup," she called, "if you're hungry."

He nodded solemnly and made his way over to the living room. Caitlin filled two bowls and brought one over to Barry, taking a seat next to him on the couch.

"Thanks, Cait," he said quietly.

"It's just soup," she answered. "No big deal."

"No... I mean for everything. You know, staying here with me."

"Oh," Caitlin blushed. "You're welcome. How are you feeling?" She immediately regretted that question. His dad had just been murdered, how else could he possibly be feeling? But still, she was curious. He hadn't talked about it at all so far.

"Honestly," he started slowly. "Not great, but I mean that makes sense. At first there was just this rush of adrenaline, you know trying to save him and then going after Zoom. I just kept pushing myself because I knew if I stopped running I would have to face it all."

"But then you did," Caitlin added.

"I did, and it... well it...."

"Sucked," she finished for him.

"Yeah, yeah it sucked," Barry let out a small smile. He hadn't smiled in days. "But it kind of forced me to think things through. You know, evaluate my life and decide what I actually want."

"What's that?" Caitlin asked, shifting closer to Barry. He suddenly looked nervous and she wasn't sure why.

"Well for starters I want to go see that farm my dad raved about. I should have gone before he...." Barry's breath caught in his throat. "I just should have gone."

"But you can now," she reassured him.

"Right... oh and I want to take Joe to Memphis like he's always wanted, have a guys trip."

"That sounds great," Caitlin giggled. "Anything else?" Barry's eyes softened as something inside him shifted.

"I want to say the things I've been too scared to say," he finally murmured. "To people I care about." Barry slowly slid his hand towards hers so that just their pinky fingers touched, as if to ask for permission for what he was going to say next.

Caitlin raised her eyes to meet his. She couldn't believe this... did he actually have feelings for her too? "What's stopping you?" She said hesitantly.

"Caitlin, I..." Barry ran his hand through his hair, uncertain of what to say. "Look when I first met you, you were still grieving Ronnie and, well and then you got him back but then you lost him all over again and I just... I just wasn't sure how to tell you." Caitlin watched his face grow red as he stumbled over his words. She got butterflies in her stomach watching him rack his brain for the right thing to say, his hand still touching hers. "If I'm being honest, I'm still not sure how to tell you," he continued. "But I've just been thinking and I realized I can't go on like this. Caitlin I... I-"

In a moment of bravery Caitlin swiftly placed her hand on his cheek, his words faltering. For a minute they both just stared into each other's eyes, taking in the moment. "Me too," she finally said. That quick moment of bravery suddenly turned to panic as Caitlin realized what she was doing.

"I... I'm sorry," she stammered, pulling back her hand. "You literally just lost your father and here I am-" Caitlin didn't get the chance to finish that sentence before Barry placed his own hand on her cheek, gently pulling her forward and pressing his lips against hers. She let out a sigh as she leaned into him, her arms sliding around his neck as she kissed him back. They stayed in this position for what felt like an eternity before they pulled apart, still resting their foreheads against one another as they processed what had just happened.

"Wow..." Barry breathed. "Caitlin I... I've been in love with you ever since that first day I woke up in Star Labs. I'm sorry it took me so long to realize that."

Caitlin giggled, lifting her gaze. "I guess even the Flash can be slow sometimes." This time it was her that pulled Barry in, initiating a kiss more passionate than before. Barry wrapped one arm around Caitlin's waist, holding on to her so delicately as if he was afraid of breaking her. He rested his other hand on the side of her face, his thumb gently gliding across her cheek. Both of their bodies began to relax into one another, their lips still pressed against each other. Caitlin finally pulled away and rested her head on Barry's shoulder.

"I'm sorry about your dad," she whispered after a minute of silence. "I miss him a lot."

"So do I," he answered, reaching up and tucking her hair behind her ear. "I think he would have liked this though," Barry gestured to the two of them. "I... I love you, Cait. Caitlin heart skipped a beat as he said this, she'd dreamed of this moment for years but never expected it to actually happen.

"I love you, Barry Allen."

Some fluffy Snowbarry based on a request :) Westallen is my OTP but I secretly love Snowbarry. 

If you like stories like this, definitely check out my favorite Snowbarry fanfic ever, "Snowbarry Oneshots" by Dichory. That one never fails to make me cry:)