Alex - Pride

"Alex," Kara said, "I know you want to impress Kelly, but don't you think this a little... uh... excessive?" She took a long look up and down at her sister, taking in her outfit. After a trip to the sketchiest thrift store they'd ever seen, Alex came home with a long puffy dress, all white with rainbow polka dots splattered all over. Kara couldn't help but be reminded of a box of crayons.

"I don't freaking know!" Alex replied exasperatedly. "It was all I could find! It's my first pride since meeting Kelly, I'm nervous, okay?" The whole group was headed downtown for National City's annual pride parade and were supposed to arrive at Kara's place any minute.

"Look it doesn't matter what you're wearing, or how much rainbow you can fit on your body at once. This is about community, coming together. All you need for that is yourself. Kelly loves you for you, you don't need a whole parade to prove that."

"I mean is there like a book on these classic supergirl hope speeches that you've been reading or do you just pull them out of your ass each time?" Alex asked sarcastically. "But you're right, I guess I'm off to change again then."

Just as the door to the bathroom swung shut, the front door burst open and in waltzed Winn and James, hooting and hollering with flags in hand.

"Well you two sure are peppy," Kara said with a laugh.

"THAT'S RIGHT, CAUSE IT'S PRIDE BABY," yelled Winn, who's sobriety was definitely in question.

"Uh Winn," she asked, "Are you-"

"Very," Nia answered, rounding the corner into the loft, her hand intertwined with Brainy's. "He's just excited, that's all."

"Nia!" Kara gasped, "You look amazing!" She had on a pink flowing skirt, a white trans rights shirt, and a blue jean jacket. How she was able to color coordinate so well, Kara would never understand. "And Brainy," Kara laughed. He had on a giant t-shirt with the words "I like gay people," printed in big letters across the front.

"I do, in fact, like the gays," he answered. "Not to be confused with lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer people which all together make up the term LGBTQ, created in the 1990's to refer to non-heterosexual and/or non-cisgender people, all of which have been subjected to discrimination and are thus worthy of a month dedicated to their much needed support and respect, also known as Pride Month, established in-"

"Brainy," Nia interrupted, "I think she gets it."

"Excellent," he answered, turning to Kara. "Nia has been educating me on the societal constructs and issues surrounding the LGBTQ community, which I find rather... ah... humbling. As you know I am a 12th level intellect so-"

"Lena!" Kara called, catching a glimpse of her friend in the doorway. She made her way over to wear Lena stood. "I'm so glad you could come with us!"

"Well it's a good cause, right?" Lena replied, a certain gleam in her eyes. "And I wouldn't choose to spend this day with anyone else." Kara smiled, a warmth spreading across her face. Getting Lena out from behind her desk was always an achievement to be proud of. "Kelly's not too far behind me," she added.

It was at this moment that Alex emerged from the bathroom in a t-shirt and jeans, a defeated look on her face. "I have nothing to wear!" she whined.

"Good thing you have me," said Kelly, who sure enough was now standing in the doorway.

"Kelly!" Alex gasped, rushing over to her. "Sorry, it's just... it's our first pride and I wanted it to be perfect for you and-"

"Shhh," Kelly said gently, "It's okay, all I need is you and it's already perfect."

"Damnit Kara," Alex muttered under her breath.

"What?" Kelly asked.

"Nothing," she said quickly. "You're right. I just had this whole plan of a perfect outfit and signs and everything."

"Well then you're lucky I brought you this." Kelly reached into her bag and pulled out a shiny leather jacket, just like the ones Alex wore. This one, however, had a large, elegant rainbow flag stitched onto the back. It was the most Alex-like clothing item she had ever seen.

"Kelly," she gasped, "I don't know what to say, this is perfect."

"I just wanted you to know that you don't have to choose between leather jackets and rainbows," Kelly explained. "Pride is about just being proud of who we are, and you don't need a fancy outfit to prove it."

"I love you." Alex smiled.

"I love you, too."

"LET'S ROLL OUT!" yelled Kara.

Happy Pride Month! Comment any story requests down below :)