Kara and Mon El - Earthly lessons

Kara and Mon El sat at her desk inside Catco. It was his first day on the job as "Mike" and there was no one around, so they decided it was a good time to teach him a few things about Earth, starting with answering phones.

"It's super simple," Kara began. "It's just like you're talking to the person in real life. See what they want, and then either answer their question or direct them to someone who can. Got it?"

"Of course," Mon El said cockily. "I think I can handle talking to people, I'm very charming."

"Okay, whatever you say. Winn is going to call from his phone so you can practice with a real person." She nodded at Winn as the phone began to ring. "Alright now remember, it's just 'Cat Grant's office, how may I help you?'"

"You say that like it's hard." He scoffed, leaning his face down to the phone. "CAT GRANT'S OFFICE. HOW MAY I HELP YOU?" He yelled, as the phone continued to ring.

"No, no," Kara stuttered. "You have to pick the phone up."

"Oh," he said, lifting the entire phone set.

"No! Just- uh-" Kara lifted the phone to his ear, demonstrating the proper way to hold it. "Now go."

"CAT GRANT"S OFFICE. HOW-" Kara watched Winn flinch from across the room as Mon El yelled into his ear.

"You don't have to be so loud," she interjected. "Just talk normally. Try again."

"Cat Grant's office. How may I help you?" Now they were getting somewhere.

"Yes hi," Winn began, his voice becoming significantly deeper. "This is Raymond Palmer calling from Palmer Tech. I would like to schedule a meeting with Miss Grant to discuss her wishes regarding the replacement of all existing company computers with Palmer technology." Kara couldn't help but laugh as Winn attempted to impersonate Ray, rather unsuccessfully.

"Yes Mr. Palmer," Mon El answered. "Now would you be so kind as to provide me with your social security number so that I may know who I am speaking to? Mine is 671-34.."

"MON EL." Kara interrupted. "People don't just give out their social security numbers, you have to stop asking for it. And for the love of god stop giving people yours!"

"So what do I do then?" Mon El asked, rolling his eyes.

"Open that calendar right there and find a time that's open, I have everything written down so you know where she'll be at all times. Just pick an open one." Kara explained.

"Well Mr. Palmer," Mon El continued, "How about next Wed-ness-day at 11?"

"Um, sounds good." Winn replied, stifling a laugh.

"What's so funny?" Mon El asked, turning back to Kara.

"Uh, it's pronounced Wednesday."

"But it says it right here...wed-ness-day?" he said, confused.

"I know it does," Kara laughed. "English is stupid like that sometimes. Now ask if he needs anything else."

"Mr. Palmer, may I help you with anything else?"

"Yes," Winn said. "May I speak with your head photographer? I have some technology in the works that may be of interest to him as well."

"That would be James," Kara said, nodding at James who had coincidentally just stepped out of his office.

"JAMES." Mon El yelled. "IT'S FOR YOU." Before Kara could stop him, Mon El lifted the phone set into the air and sent it hurtling across the room towards an unsuspecting James, who was knocked off his feet as the phone came clattering to the ground.

"DUDE." Kara cried, looking down pitifully at James, along with the phone that now lay in a million pieces.

"Man," Mon El said shamefully. "Maybe I should just stick to coffee duty."

So obviously this is based on the episode where Mon El works at Catco, but I really like the idea of other stories like this, where Kara has to teach him how to blend in on Earth. This could be anything from how to order Starbucks (literally it's a whole other language that I have yet to understand) or how to kiss ;) Idk BUT I'm going to start another story (still working on the title) with this as the first chapter and continue it on there, if anyone's interested. Anyway we'll see how that goes. If you've read this far, I applaud and appreciate you.