Brainy and Nia - Date

"Brainy, you'll be fine. I promise. This plan is fail proof." Kara said reassuringly.

Tonight he was going on a date with Nia, their first real "earth" date. Dating in the future was much more straightforward than dating in this time period. Brainy wanted to take Nia on a real date, something that she would remember for the rest of her life. The only problem was he had no idea what that meant, which is why he enlisted Kara's help.

"Okay so you remember everything I told you?" Kara asked, straightening his collar.

"Of course, it is a simple sequence of events. Step one, pick up Nia Nal- I mean Nia." Kara nodded. "Step two," he continued, "take Nia to the park. Do not allow her to see the basket or any of its contents. Step three, locate the spot under the large oak tree where you will have prepared the area. Step four, reveal the concept of the date to Nia. Step five, be seated and execute the date."

"Good," Kara answered, walking Brainy to the door. "Remember, just call her Nia, and don't worry about any kind of calculations. You just have to be yourself."

"Myself. Got it" he said as he left.

The first two steps went according to plan. Brainy picked up Nia from her apartment and got them both to the park Kara had showed him. He hadn't been able to stop looking at Nia since the moment she opened the door, the green sweater she was wearing made her eyes resemble a golden sunset, and her hair waves of rich mahogany.

"Brainy? Where are we?" Nia asked, breaking him out of his trance.

"Almost there," he replied, smiling at her.

Finally, they came around a bend that revealed the picnic Kara had set up probably moments before. She'd laid out a large red and white checkered blanket, surrounded by pillows, blankets, and tiny flickering tea lights. In the center was a vase holding tiny, delicate, bright blue flowers. Brainy quickly identified them as Dreambelles, a flower that grew on Naltor, the planet Nia's family originated from. How did Kara even get those? Nia looked just as shocked.

"Brainy, this is beautiful. How did you do all this?" she asked, her eyes wide in disbelief.

"Well, I must admit, I had help," he said sheepishly.

"It was Kara, wasn't it," Nia said slyly.

"How did you know?"

"The other day she asked me if anyone in Parthas sold Bluebelles," Nia said with a laugh. "I told her if she found any florists that had a spaceship, to let me know. I guess she must have figured something out."

"And she thought I wasn't subtle. Well, please, sit down." They both sat down on the blanket, while Brainy pulled out the basket he had brought along.

"What's in there?" Nia asked.

"Ah, you shall see." Brainy began pulling items out of the basket. There were sandwiches, salads, grapes, chocolates, and even potstickers, Kara's personal touch. In the very bottom was a laptop that Brainy opened up, Harry Potter movies already loaded and ready to go.

"Brainy, this is amazing." Nia said in awe. "Thank you."

The two stayed in that spot for hours, enjoying the food, watching movies, and just being together. When the movie had ended and the night became quiet, they found themselves lying on the blanket side by side, staring up at the stars.

"In the future, I knew every single star, planet, constellation, and solar system by heart." Brainy said quietly. "It gave me this...peace...knowing that they were always there. Each day the sun came and went, and no matter how many troubles I'd had, the sky always looked the same. Here..." He hesitated. "Everything is different. All of these stars we see now are long gone in the future, everything I knew to be true doesn't even exist yet. My whole world turned upside down when I arrived here. At first I had Mon El and Imra, that made me feel a little less alone. But now that they're gone, I have no proof of the world I once knew."

Brainy had never been able to be this honest with anyone. It was as if a part of him was set free when Nia was there.

"Brainy," Nia said sympathetically. "Everything you know is still there, and it's still a part of you. You're the proof, you are the person you are right now because of that world. Nothing is going to change that." She wrapped her arms around him. "No matter how much the world changes, I will always be right here. That won't change."

"Thank you, Nia," Brainy said, gazing into her eyes. It was true, she was his constant. No matter how crazy this time period got, she was always there, and that gave him a sense of peace that stars never could.

If anyone actually reads these, comment any concept ideas you have!