Ava and Nyssa - Is she Alive?

Today had possibly been one of the most terrifying days of Ava's life. They had been on a mission just like any other, in this case it involved a 1930's hit man displaced in 1700's Great Britain. The goal was to keep the revolver from being introduced during the Revolutionary War. The team had elected to split up and send half of them to America, while Ava, Sara, and Nate stayed there.

When the British troops began to close in and they realized they needed backup, Sara attempted to hail the Waverider but with no success. Gideon had been damaged during the other group's own battles and was now unreachable. Seeing no other option and wanting to protect Ava, Sara charged into battle alone. Ava and Nate ran into the crowd after her, but they weren't fast enough. The ground shook with a loud bang and suddenly Sara collapsed to her knees, her hand clutching her side.

"Sara!" Ava cried, too paralyzed to move.

Nate swooped in without a second to spare, steel skin and all, and caught Sara just before her head could hit the ground. He pulled her up into his arms and began to run, shielding her body from the additional bullets flying through the air. They all made their way over to a clearing in the woods out of harm's way to assess the damage.

"Ava," Sara croaked, fear etched across her face. She needed Gideon's help, but at the moment that wasn't an option.

"It's okay, honey. I'm here," Ava said, her voice wavering.

Nate gently lifted Sara's shirt to look at her injury. "There's no exit wound," he said. "The bullet is still in there. She needs help, and fast."

"We can't get in contact with anyone, not even Gideon," said Ava. "What do we do?"

"We get her to a real hospital," he replied, pulling out his time courier.

"But," Sara gasped. "The timeline."

"Then we'll go back to our own time," he nodded, getting back to his feet.

"Oh my god Sara," Ava muttered, fearing the worst.

"Babe, it's okay," Sara smiled, a drop of blood now trickling out the side of her mouth. "Not the first time I've been shot. I'll be..." Her words faded off as she slipped into unconsciousness.

"We've got to go," Nate said as he lifted her once again. Ava pointed the time courier towards a clearing and opened up a portal.

"Star City 2021," she announced before they stepped through.

On the other side they were met with the starch white walls of a hospital.

"We need help!" Nate yelled. A group of nurses rushed over with a gurney, which Nate delicately placed Sara on. She was immediately wheeled off into another room, leaving Nate and Ava alone in the hallway.

"Okay," Ava said in an attempt to reassure herself. "We made it, it's fine. She's going to be-'' It was at this moment that she turned to fully look at Nate and realized his clothes were now stained red, dark blood dripping from his hands. Blood. Sara's blood. "Oh my god," she gasped, her knees buckling underneath her.

"Hey, hey," Nate said calmingly, placing a hand around her waist to hold her up. "Sara's tough, remember? She'll get through this. I mean the girl is literally an assassin, what more could you ask for?" This elicited a small laugh from Ava.

"You're right," she nodded. "You're right. I guess I'm just letting my nerves get the best of me."

"How about you stay here," Nate suggested. "Maybe get something to eat, and I'll go get out of these clothes and see about contacting the team?"

Ava nodded. "Thank you, Nate. Seriously."

"Sure thing, Captain," he smiled, tipping his imaginary hat before heading for the exit.

And so that's what she did. Ava spent the next hour nervously pacing the hall, uneaten sandwich in hand, waiting for news on Sara. Her heart leapt when she finally saw a doctor come around the corner.

"The surgery went well," the woman explained to Ava. "We were able to remove all of the bullet fragments and her body seems to be responding well. We'll know more once she wakes up, but this is a very good sign."

"Okay, thank you," Ava nodded. "Can I see her?"

"She's still asleep, but I'll let you know as soon as she wakes up and then you can." The doctor patted Ava's arm reassuringly before walking away.

Everything was okay. Sara was okay. Ava finally let out the breath she had been unintentionally holding in for the past few hours. She took a seat in the chair just outside Sara's room to wait to be reunited.

Her moment of peace, however, was cut short when she caught sight of a dark haired woman striding down the hall and towards the door. She wore dark boots and a long velvet cape that flowed behind her with each step. And she was heading for Sara.

"Woah woah woah," Ava stammered, jumping to her feet. "What do you think you're doing?"

"I'm going to see Sara," the woman said plainly, seemingly annoyed at being addressed.

"Who are you?"

"I am Nyssa al Ghul, daughter of the Demon."

Part 2 on the way :)