Cisco and Harry - Couples Therapy

"Well we wouldn't have needed to fix the quantum splicer if you had just listened to me," Harry spat.

"Well maybe if you weren't such a jackass I wouldn't have been tuning you out in the first place," Cisco fired back.

"I may be a jackass, but at least I'm not a moron."

"Yeah? Well-"

"BOYS," Iris interrupted, becoming more and more exasperated by the second. "We need this machine or else we can't transport our meta to ARGUS."

"I mean technically you could if you just-" Harry began.

"No there's no way, the second we open the cell he would just take off, there's no way we would be able to control him," Cisco argued.

"Are you stupid? Just-"

"BOYS," Iris yelled even louder. "The problem isn't him getting away, it's the fact that there are two people in that body and one is innocent. It's like Professor Stein and Ronnie, and until we can separate them we're at a standstill. Which is why you two need to get it together and fix all this," she said, motioning to the mess surrounding them. "And if you can't figure out how to make that happen, I'll find someone who can."

"I mean I'm all for it," Cisco explained, "but somebody refuses to hand over the quantum alloy and let me-"

"Because you're going to blow us all up you idiot-"

"FINE." Iris yelled. "YOU LEAVE ME NO CHOICE." She pulled out her phone and angrily began to dial, while they looked on in horror.

.............

1 hour later, the two men sat in Dr. Finkel's office, while the woman stared them both down.

"So," Dr. Finkel began. "Iris tells me that you two are having issues cooperating at work?"

"Um, yeah," Cisco stuttered, "you could say that."

"And what is this project that you're working on together?"

"Powerpoint"

"DNA samples" they both blurted out at the same time.

"Powerpoint...about DNA samples...." Cisco said slowly.

"And what do you think is the root of it all? I know it seems like a big question, but I get the feeling that deep down you two already know," she said gently.

Harry sat back with his arms crossed, making it clear he had no intention of answering.

"Well," Cisco began awkwardly, "I think we're all just a little stressed, you know because the stakes are so high, and we're just taking it out on each other."

"What he said," Harry muttered.

"Well," Dr. Finkel nodded, "let me ask you this, what is the worst thing that could happen?"

"Nuclear explosion that kills everyone within a 10 mile radius," Harry said instinctively, eliciting a gasp from Dr. Finkel.

"Wow now you want to talk?" Cisco spat. "He's just kidding, Dr. Finkel. What he means is that's how it feels. We have a lot of people counting on us and sometimes the weight of it all makes it seem like if we mess up... they'll all... die?"

"Well then obviously you know that's not true," she said. "From what Iris said over the phone, it seems to me your problem is that you both see the other as a liability, but don't trust yourselves either. It's creating this conflict inside you both so that you lose the concept of who is right and who is wrong."

"We've been here for like 5 minutes," Harry began accusingly, "how could you possibly-"

"Ahem," Cisco interrupted, "what he means is your efficiency is very impressive, Dr. Finkel. Now if you don't mind, we're going to go ahead and get back to work and think about everything you just said." He stood up and began pulling a disgruntled Harry out the door. "Wow I feel enlightened already, thanks again!" His fake smile vanished the second they exited the room.

"Well that was torture," Harry complained.

"Okay here's the plan," Cisco whispered as they shuffled through the parking lot towards the car where Iris was waiting. "We tell Iris therapy went great, go back to the lab, get our crap together, stop arguing and get this thing done, and I'll buy you Big Belly Burger. Deal?"

Harry stopped to think over his proposition. "With fries?" He asked.

"Sure, whatever."

"You, sir, have yourself a deal." The duo shook hands as they approached the car.