FIVE

FIVE

Thursday

Things had been going great at the new store that first week. Everyone was incredibly friendly and made me feel right at home. Jimin and Kookie were hilarious to work with, with a near-daily prank battle ongoing between them. Earlier in the day, just for instance, Kook snuck into Jimin's studio while he was out on the sales floor helping a student pick out some music, and had taken all of his reeds out of his clarinet case.

Hobi was between lessons and had a break, so he was sitting along the guitar display wall, plinking through some jazz scale patterns on a new Martin acoustic we just got in.

I couldn't help but admire him as I was hanging marketing posters on a nearby wall. His fingers moved skillfully, with absolute technical precision, sweeping up and down the fretboard. He had taken off the carmine red sweater he had arrived in earlier, so he was sitting on the guitar stool, only wearing a white tee and his dark, faded jeans.

Hobi's hair had fallen over his eyes while leaning over the guitar, so he hadn't noticed me watching. I almost didn't catch myself watching either, but Jin must have.

"Maybe it's just my imagination, but you've been standing there holding that poster frame for a few solid minutes now. Are you expecting it to do a trick?" Jin nudged me with his elbow, bringing me back to earth.

"I'm fine," I laughed, "Just watching..."

I can't believe he caught me staring... How embarrassing...

"So you guys have a show tonight?" I asked, already knowing that the ensemble played every Thursday and Saturday, but I desperately needed the conversation to go somewhere else... anywhere else.

"Yep. 7:30, as always. You coming?" Jin asked, picking up the next poster and handing it up to me on the step ladder.

I heard Hobi's playing stop, and I watched him put the guitar back up on the display wall. He still hadn't noticed Jin and I, but I noticed him. His flawless golden skin was accentuated by the white of his t-shirt, and his hair a bit disheveled from a busy day of lessons and playing music. I watched him reach his hands behind his head for a deep stretch, and my lips parted as I took in the sight of his slender, yet toned physique.