Two - I Wonder

"Thinking of you is a poison I drink often"
-Atticus

・゚: *・゚:*

"Well Slughorn is a slytherin so you might still get a pass if your lucky Eddie"

We had finished our evening feast in the great hall and Dumbledore had concluded his traditional speech, giving the same repetitive notices from Filch the caretaker and introducing the new staff. We had been introduced to Professor Slughorn, the teacher who was to replace Snape as potions master. Blaise had said that to Eddie as the students in the hall stood up to make their way to their common rooms.

"Oh ha bloody ha. I'm not thick you know" he said in return.

"I know you aren't, but I don't think you have studied once since at least third year" Blaise replied.

"And yet I still pass all my classes" he said with comical smugness.

"Barely" Cass added.

...

Eddie Cass and Blaise had congregated in a huddle in front of the large common room fire while me and Zack were sat on opposite ends of one of the large green sofas reading. I was immersed in my story so much that I didn't hear Zack speaking to me. I didn't notice until he waved his hand in front of my face causing me to jump slightly.

"Hello?" He said to me laughing. "Your not sharp today are you. Drink?" He made was stood up and about to walk over to the kitchen presumably to make a pot of tea.

"Uh yeah thanks" I replied to him closing my book.

"You've haven't changed at all since first year, always got your head in a bloody book" he said to me.

"You can't say anything with your quidditch obsession. 'Oh my god did you see Victor Krum?!?! Oh my god he's so amazing I love him so much!!!" I mimicked him with a laugh. "Fanboy much?"

"Shut it" he laughed at me before walking over to the kitchen.

The common room was filled with a reasonable amount of students, some had made their way to their dorms but most were in small groups in the common room. Draco Malfoy, for some reason, had placed himself in an armchair near the fire across from the sofa I was sat on - I expected him to of either been in his dorm or with Crabbe and Goyle, but here he was. He too was holding a book. I couldn't quite make out what it was, but despite holding the book open, he did not appear to be reading it. He seemed to be looking just over the top of the book and staring into the fire, the same vacant expression on his face that was there for the train ride.

The other three were still on the floor discussing what they had been up to over summer. Each of them had been on some sort of abroad holiday wether it was meeting family . My summer was no where near as interesting as the other's'. My parents were loving and wealthy enough but where often immersed in their work they did for the ministry and didn't have time for things such as holidays.

My summer mostly consisted of me going for long walks over the grassy hills and forestry that surrounded our house. I would often leave for hours on end and sometimes I went out early to watch the sunrise on top of the hills. It wasn't any expensive holiday, but I was certainly content with it, getting lost in random ventures into the forest my only companion being my thoughts. And the views of the sunsets and scenery made it all the better.

Zack returned clutching three mugs, Blaise helping him carry the other three. He placed one into my hands and handed the rest out of the others. He lay Draco's down on the floor next to him - he still seemed unresponsive, completely lost in watching the dancing flames of the fire.

The Malfoy boy intrigued me. Intrigue isn't to be confused with positive feelings - I had less than positive views of him. He was often an arrogant reflection of his father who leapt at any opportunity to insult someone. But now it seemed as if he had been replace with someone new. The only words I had heard him speak ever since he got on the train this morning was a small greeting to Blaise as he entered the carriage. He seemed as though something was constantly on his mind. I was intrigued as to what it was. At the feast, he had silently eaten a small portion of food and a few glasses of pumpkin juice, but he had still not said a word. It was a nice change from his common insults and mockery, but still, I wanted to know what had caused his sudden change.

...

Sorry for another uneventful chapter, some interesting stuff is actually going to happen in the chapters from now <3