Forty Seven - Metal Bars

"Spinning on that dizzy edge
I kissed her face and kissed her head
And dreamed of all the different ways I had
To make her glow"

-The Cure

...

"Your father, Wormtail, Professor Snape and I are out on a mission. Do not leave the house. We shan't be back before midnight, no one is due to arrive today.

Mother"

"What are they doing? Do you not think this has something to do with Snape? Why didn't they tell you yesterday?" I frantically questioned Draco as we read over the note that had been left on top of the trunk of my clothes outside of the door. We had both woken up around 9, preparing ourselves to see Snape in the manor and planning what to do. As we had opened the door, I nearly tripped over the trunk that was mine that I had left at Hogwarts that was in front of the door. The note was placed on top of the chest.

"Don't panic, they do this often. They usually leave me in the house when they are going on some sort of mission. They won't tell me what it is they are doing, I haven't gone with them yet, they want me guarding the house."

I wondered as to why it was they needed the house guarding, but then it hit me.

"Draco we can set them free!"

"Don't be foolish Helena, what will they do when we come back?"

"We can leave. Like we said" I pleaded with him.

"Helena we can't. I would love nothing more. But it is far too dangerous." I looked up at him, knowing that what I said was silly. But it couldn't hurt to try.

"Let's at least go to them."

"I don't have the keys, the door will be enchanted"

"We can still speak to them. At least figure out why they are here." I said while grabbing hold of my trunk and pulling it into the room.

"Helena we can't. What if they tell? They tell my parents that we are on their side?"

"Draco, we have to help them!" I exclaimed to him. "What if it was me down there?" I asked him. "Would you still say that?"

He looked at me conflicted. I knew I was winning him over, though I knew he was right.

"Go to them. Tell them the truth. But you must make them swear not to say a word."

...

I had thrown on a pair of black jeans and a deep blue hoodie. He was leading me through the house, stopping at the top of a steep staircase that led down what looked at least a hundred steps. He stayed silent as to not alert them that he was there. We had taken a loaf of bread from Kobble making him swear not to tell anyone, certain that they weren't being fed enough. I looked one last time at Draco before I  turned away from him, him deciding it would be best for him to wait until I had a chance to explain to them.

The further I got down the stairs, the more pungent the murky damp smell became. There were enchanted lit torches that constantly burned leading the way down the staircase. I could help but get an eerie feeling as I descended into the dungeons, getting anxious though I knew what was down there and it was nothing to be afraid of.