Sixty Three - Filthy

"His scent hits me like a slap to the face, his voice pierces me like a stab to the heart"

...

"PETRIFICUS TOTALUS"

With my incantation, the death eater who had a blonde girl in Gryffindor robes under the cruciatus curse froze before falling to the floor unable to move.

I pulled the girl up from the floor, assuring that she was ok as Draco healed the small gash across her forehead with a charm.

After the incident in the room of requirement, Harry Hermione and Ron had ran from the corridor leaving me and Draco to ourselves. We had immediately left the hallway to join the battle, this girl being attacked by a death eater as we rounded the corner.

We told the girl who looked to be in fourth year to find a place to hide and told her the password to the nearest common room but she insisted on fighting. We left her to continue fighting - the Gryffindor girl didn't want to back down.

We turned down the small set of stairs aiming to get to the courtyard and fight the death eaters off from coming in. As we reached the bottom, a flash of green light came speeding towards us, Draco only just managing to deflect it with his wand. The death eater that stood down the corridor I recognised as Alecto Carrow.

"STUPEFY" I shot back at her, her easily deflecting it with her wand as she made her way towards us. Draco shot a spell towards her and she cast it away once again.

"Malfoy" she bellowed down the hall. "Betrayal. Your a coward just like your father. I'm sure the dark lord would love to hear this. I'll leave you for him to deal with" she spat. "STUPEFY"

Distracted by her words, he didn't have time to deflect the spell - it shot him in the centre of his chest, his body being hurled backwards and crashing into the wall at the end of the corridor. Carrow let out a cackle, her stubby fingers holding her wand that was pointed towards me. "No surprise with you" she said with a laugh. "I suppose you aren't worth his time. AVADA KEDAVRA" she yelled.

I ripped my wand across the air in front of me, the spell being deflected. She shot another green flash towards me. I managed to deflect it but the force of it sent me tumbling onto my back, my wand falling out of my hand as she stood mere feet away from me.

She looked down at me, a smug look on her face with a wicked smile. She pointed her wand towards me as I attempted to scramble back. "Pity you didn't listen in class" she said.

"EXPELLIARMUS"

Her wand flew out of her hand, flying over my head and landing somewhere behind me. "Tell him this from me. STUPEFY"

The green light cast from behind collided with Carrows chest, her body being flung upwards and back, reaching the other end of the corridor before eventually colliding with the glass window, shards of glass flying everywhere as she plummeted to the ground.

Draco grabbed my hand and pulled me to my feet, me grabbing my wand off the floor.

"Impressive Malfoy" I said with a smile to him.

"Why thank you Wright" he said sarcastically.

"Though Avada Kedavra would have be approved of just this once"

Our smiles were short lived as we ran around the corner and made our way over the small bridge that connected two parts of the castle. Sparks of red and green collided with each other, several bodies being flung through the air from stunning spells. I stopped to stun a death eater duelling with a third year, her body flying to the other end of the room and leaving her unconscious.

Limp and pale bodies of both sides lay on the stairs that we made our way down to reach the courtyard. I didn't dare look at the faces of the victims, knowing they would haunt me forever if I did
I pulled Draco along as we turned the final corner to lead out to the courtyard. I could see bright flashes of light from outside and could hear yells and screams from those being injured. I ran as fast as I could, hoping to be able to help them, maybe save a few of them.

I felt Draco's hand release mine. I turned around to face him and see what was keeping him. Most action was taking place outside, not many death eaters in the castle at the moment. Though I knew they soon would be. Draco was stood still, looking towards the flashes of light we could see.

"Draco come on!" I said turning to continue running.

"I can't". I stopped dead in my tracks.

"What the hell do you mean?" I said hurriedly, certain screams louder than others and making me dread thinking that I could prevent some of them.

"You heard Carrow" he said. "They will kill me"

"To hell with them Draco!" I yelled. "You are on our side now!"

"No" he said shakily. "They will kill me. He will kill me. They will know I betrayed them."

"Draco how long do you expect to pretend to be on their side?!" I yelled. "If we defeat them, you don't have to be with them!"

"I can't" he almost whispered. "Let's leave"

"Draco what the hell?!" I screamed at him.

"We can get out. Get those brooms, we can leave here!" He said urgently. He walked over to me and grasped my hand. I stared into his eyes in disbelief.

"Surely you aren't serious" I said in utter disbelief. But the cloudiness in his eyes showed me that he was.

"I can't face them. They will kill me"

"ARE YOU SERIOUSLY RUNNING AWAY FROM THIS?" I screamed tearing my hand away. He stared into my eyes silently pleading with me.

"Helena I can't-"

"WHY?" I screamed.

"Please. Let's just leave, we don't have to come back here. We can forget all this"

"You can forget it! But I can't leave people here to die!" I yelled. Tears of anger pricked the back of my eyes.

"They can manage by themselves! They don't need us Helena!"

"YES THEY DO!" I shrieked. "YOU SAID YOU ARE ON OUR SIDE. PROVE IT!"

He looked between me and the flashes of light that were becoming brighter and faster by the second. A tear rolling down his cheek, he looked at me.

"I can't."

I stepped back from him concealing the tears welling in my own eyes.

"Carrow was right" I said. "You really are a coward"

"Helena please don't-"

"GO!" I shrieked towards him. He stepped back from me. "GO ON. LEAVE!" He shook his head quickly while saying

"I don't want to leave you"

"YOU CLEARLY DO" I screamed. "GO. GO BE WITH YOUR FILTHY MOTHER AND FATHER! GO AND BE THE VILLAIN THEY ALL KNOW YOU ARE"

I turned on my heel. Wiping the tears from my eyes not to cloud my vision as I made my way out into the corner, immediately dodging the spell that came bounding towards me.

...