Forty Four - Pinky Swear

"We can be heroes, just for one day.
We can be us, just for one day"

-David Bowie

...

Me and Draco were sat on the two chairs that lay on the balcony just outside his bedroom. Narcissa was locked away in her room, neither me or Draco knowing what she was doing in there. Neither of us complained though - we were finally able to make up for the time that we had lost when I was still trapped in the wretched school.

It was reaching 7, the time before that we had spent in his room catching each other up on everything that we weren't able to put into letters. He told me of the frequent visitors that he had at the Manor and how many of them were convicted murderers that had escaped from Azkaban that I would recognise from wanted posters that were always plastered around the wizarding world. Well, that was until the ministry was infiltrated by you know who and his workers.

The sun was beginning to set over the horizons of the grassy plains that stretched out around the building. It reminded me hauntingly of the way we used to sit on the astronomy tower, staring out for hours over the grounds of Hogwarts. Back when I didn't know about any of this and he could forget it for a few hours.

The doors behind us that lead into his room were shut and locked on the off chance that someone came into his room trying to listen in on our conversations. Not that they would get anything out of them, we were now just speaking of how much we missed each other.

"What time is your father due home?" I asked him, my worry of him returning without our knowledge growing.

"He usually only comes home close to midnight. My mother will more than likely awaken us if we fall asleep. I think it will be best if you let me do the talking" he replied to me. I silently nodded to him.

Our seats were next to each other, our hands interlocked. I moved my head down to rest it onto his shoulder. I closed my eyes and let out a gentle sigh, feeling him lightly rest his head on top of my own as I held his hand tighter.

"I promise you one day we won't have to be like this." He said. "One day when all this is over. We will be able to be like this with each other, not having to worry about anything." I looked up at him.

"Swear?" I said to him with a smile, my free hand held out to him with my little finger extended. He laughed softly and wrapped his little finger around mine.

"Pinky swear"

...

"Can you hear what they are saying??" I asked him frantically. He had his ear pressed against the crack in the door.

"I can't make it out" he replied.

Draco's father had returned home. The two of us were shut into his room after hearing his mother rush down the stairs, the time being 11:30. She hadn't come into our room, Draco knowing that if we needed anything we were to get it ourselves off of wormtail. I was scanning his bookshelf when we had heard her, trying to find one that looked interesting enough to take my mind off of the danger we were in. We heard the noise in the otherwise silent house of Narcissa rushing down the staircase, presumably as she had seen him approaching the house from her room.

The door had opened and we could hear the two of them speaking but only muffled voices were audible through the closed door. Draco listened intently, me stood close by him. I could only make out the mention of mine and Dracos name, Narcissa seemingly quiet beneath the voice of Lucius.