Five - Quiet and Cold

"I waited for you my entire life, and you were worth every second"

: *・゚:*

The common room was always deserted at this time. By one in the morning on a regular school night, all students were either asleep or hanging out in groups in their dorm. I often had trouble sleeping but this night was particularly difficult - the early time I went to sleep the night before probably didn't help.

Instead of staring at my ceiling trying to force my mind to shut off, I instead went down into the slytherin common room to get myself a glass of water, maybe gaze out of the cold windows into the lake. It was always cold in here with it being underwater. We have huge windows allowing us to see the great depths of the black lake. No matter how many times it happened, we still seemed to all get excited when the giant squid passed the window.

There was an odd peacefulness about the cold deserted room. It was elegantly decorated with every shade of green there was from the sofas, to the curtains, even to the fire - it had been enchanted to glow a beautiful green.

The cold of the stone floor penetrated my bare feet as I quickly ran to the carpet to save myself from the cold. I nearly let out a scream of fear when I saw a figure sat in an armchair in front of the fire that I hadn't seen when I first entered the room. The figure seemed just as startled to see me.

"What brings you here Wright?"

"I could ask you the same question Malfoy" I replied to him, my breath fast from the shock of seeing him.

"I think I've told you more than once that certain things aren't any of your business" I rolled my eyes at him.

"I'll decide what my business is Malfoy and right now my business is why you are here at this hour." He glared at me in much the same way he did to Potter earlier.

"If you must bloody know, I couldn't sleep. I would ask why you are here but quite frankly, I don't care," he replied to before turning away to sit normally in the armchair.

"I'm here for the same reason as you are Malfoy"

"I distinctly remember saying I don't care" he replied to me.

"Jesus Christ, what did I ever do to you" I said to him rolling my eyes as I turned to walk towards the kitchen for a cup of water. However I stopped when I realised that he didn't respond. "Actually" I said while turning back around to face where he was sat leaning against the stone wall. "What did I ever do to you?"

He stayed silent for a good few moments before saying

"Piss off, I don't have to have a reason for why I don't like you"

"There is always a reason" I said before sitting in the armchair across from him.

"And what are you doing?"

"Well I would of thought it pretty obvious I'm sitting down" I responded.

"Or, hear me out, you could leave?" He replied with the same sarcastic tone.

"I'm not going anywhere. You are most welcome to leave if my presence annoys you that much"

"It's not your presence that annoys me, it's your constant nagging that does"

"Well I wouldn't have to nag you if you just gave me a straight answer." He eyed me suspiciously.

"An answer to what exactly?" He said to me.

"Why you've been so... I don't know- weird."

"Weird?" He said in a mocking tone.

"Oh piss off you know what I mean. Not saying a word for the entire train ride, acting like someone had a gun to your head all the way though potions, looking like you wanted to stab Potter when he won that potion." With my words, he stopped looking at me and instead fixed his gaze upon the ground.

"I've told you it's none of your business." He said after a few seconds.

"Draco why can't you just-" I said to him, wondering what it could possibly be that he was talking about.

"I can't." His voice almost wavered through the sentence. I didn't know what to say to him. "Please just- just leave it." He said.

I stayed silent for a few minutes after than and so did he.

"Ok fine. I will" I said to him. "If you answer me this" he looked up at me. "Why is it that you dislike me so much?" I said. He took his time answering.

"I don't know. Maybe I just do" he said looking away from me.

"There must be a reason Malfoy" I said to him.

"Well maybe you're just an easy target and it's fun." He seemed just as taken aback by his answer as I was.

"Well." I said to him. "Fine then." I began to stand up.

"Wait" he stuttered. I turned to look at him. "That was- I-I didn't mean that."

"Don't bother" I said. "Im sure you did."

"I didn't- right look. I'm sorry." He said. Hearing Draco apologise was certainly a new thing and it was more than unusual. "I guess- I don't really know w-"

"I'm gonna go back up" I said while turning towards the stairs. I expected his insults to return at some point though I refuse to simply sit and take them. I had made it up a few stairs before I heard his insufferable voice again.

"Sure you coming with me and Blaise tomorrow?" Cass Eddie Zack Blaise and me were planning on going to hogsmeade after school the following day. I was previously unaware if Blaise had invited Draco or not, though I assumed he had.

"I'm going with Cass Eddie and Zack," I replied coldly.

"I guess I'll see you there then."

"I love Blaise but I'm sure I can stand one day without him if you are going to force yourself into the group when no one but him wants you there." I was slightly shocked at my own harshness. But I wasn't regretful. It was the truth and I wanted him to know it.

"Fine," I heard as I made my way up the stairs. There was an anger in his voice that wasn't usually there. He normally had a tone of smugness I'm his voice, but that was gone now. Instead all I heard was his infuriation. It was fulfilling to finally see him angry with me instead of simply talking down to me. He deserved nothing less.

...