Twenty Five - The Worst Part

"A sky full of stars and he
was staring at her"

-Atticus

・゚: *・゚:*

"I assume you know the consequences, Miss Wright"

I was sat in my defence against the dark arts lesson. Only now, it's name had been changed to simply the dark arts. They were often lessons on how to perform the three unforgivable curses and other spells to injure and kill.

The man who gave himself the label of a teacher was Amycus Carrow, one of the fearsome Carrow twins. There were several death eaters that were teachers at the school while some of them were our regular teachers like Professors McGonagall, Sprout, Flitwick, Slughorn and several others. I can only assume that Snape had some sort of threat against them to keep them at the school teaching. Those lessons were a few hours of relief from being threatened and chastised by the workers of the dark lord, though they often came in the classrooms to assure the teachers were "doing their job". Most of the death eaters in the school patrolled the halls and inspected the common rooms and classes making sure students were kept in order and harshly punishing anyone who wasn't.

The assignment we had in our dark arts lesson was to practice the killing curse on animals such as large spiders and other enlarged creatures. In our fourth year, we had had a similar lesson taught by professor Mad-Eye Moody. Only, now we knew that it was the death eater Barty Crouch Jr who used polyjuice potion to disguise himself. In the lesson, he had shown us the effects of the imperious, crutiatus and killing curse on similar creatures. The spells were bad enough to witness being performed by another. But I wouldn't bring myself to perform them.

Carrow was threatening me after I refused to take my turn on killing an animal. Plenty others in the class had attempted the spells, looks of overwhelming guilt on their faces. Only few had succeeded, most unable to due to lack of ability and willingness. The creature would squirm in pain slightly but only four had been killed.

Crabbe and Goyle had each managed to kill one each. Their parents turned out to be death eaters and they were more than eager to follow in their footsteps. They each had a sick smile on their face as the life was drained out of the creatures.

Another was a girl by the name of Serena Dagon - a girl in the year below me. I had little knowledge of who she was, but I could only assume her parents were involved with the dark lord, as she received a comment from Carrow where he claimed that she was "following in the footsteps of her father". It was such students that were favoured and hardly punished.

And the other user of the curse was Draco.

He had stepped up to the table where there lay an excessively large spider. I was stood across the room looking at him. He had his wand pointed towards the creature.

"Come on Malfoy. Or will you be as pathetic as your father was?" Carrows sneered at him. With his words, Draco looked up at him in fury. He extended his wand further towards the creature.

"Avada kedavra". With his words, a green light emitted from his wand and landed on the spider. It let out a small noise of pain before laying on its back, motionless as it's life was drained from it.

He pulled away his wand. The anger on his face disappeared and he glanced over at me. I was staring at him in fury. But what else could I expect from a death eater?