Fourteen - That Summer

"Meeting you was a fate, becoming your friend was a choice. But falling in love with you was beyond my control"

・゚: *・゚:*

Draco's POV.

I desperately despised not speaking to her. All I wanted was to hear her voice. Even when she chastised me, her voice made my day slightly better. But I could never be so selfish as to drag her into my world.

That day on the lake. I remember it as if it was mere days ago. 4th of June, our fifth year. The days I spent with Blaize, Helena always joined. I had always had a deep hidden liking for her. She was so effortlessly charming and intelligent. She was far more beautiful than any girl I had had a fling with in the past. I had small flings with several girls in my house, but this was different. I've never felt such a way about anyone before.

I suppressed it though. The rule about the weakness of love was drilled into me by my father, I was determined to not let it overtake me. But as I watched her, turning the pages of her book, perched in the tree that she had climbed. Those flowers that Cass had placed framing her face perfectly. The shadows from the leaves of the tree decorating her freckled face - I was entranced by her.

That was the day I realised my emotions would overpower my will. I had kept my feelings hidden for so long. But she looked so perfect in that moment - I longed to be with her.

But my stupid pride. If I hadn't been so bloody proud, if I hadn't tried to hurt her so I wouldn't get hurt back. Maybe I could of at the very least been able to speak to her without the look of dislike in her eyes.

I wanted desperately to at least befriend her. But how could I when I had been such a bully to her? Next year. I told myself. Next year I'll stop it. I'll tell her.

But of course. Life has its cruel ways.

That summer.

That god awful summer.

That god awful summer when the mark of evil was forever engraved into my arm.

"Welcome to the death eater ranks, Draco Malfoy".

I woke up everyday that summer, permanently afraid that I was to be woken up to see the dark lord residing in my own front room. I was treading on eggshells, not knowing what was to happen the next day - and then he gave me the job. Two weeks exactly before the ending of summer. The dark lord asked the impossible of me. I was to be the one to kill Dumbledore.

Mother had taken me several times to Borgin and Burke's before I resumed school. The vanishing cabinet. An idea of the dark lord himself, the twin to the cabinet lay in the room of requirement at Hogwarts.

I was to let several of the most feared death eaters into the school to assist me in the murder. I followed the plan blindly. Always taught what an honour it was to receive such an assignment from the dark lord. He trusted me to kill the only person that he fears could get in the way of him and Potter.

The vanishing cabinet was stubborn to work. I spent months working on it, hardly ever attending my classes, every free second I had spent on casting various spells and attempted repair onto the cabinet. But it refused to work. The cabinet would simply shake furiously for a second or two before resuming its still position with no changes to its interior.

I had to take other measures. I knew that if Dumbledore wasn't dead before the end of the year, the dark lord would unleash his wrath upon me, or worse my mother. So I gave Katie bell that necklace. I was the one who enchanted her to take it to Dumbledore. And I was the reason she was now inches from life lying in a hospital bed.