Four - Jealousy

"Nobody taught me how to love myself, so how can I love somebody else?"
-Yungblud

・゚: *・゚:*

"Amortentia sir. The most powerful love potion in the world. It is rumoured to smell different to each person according to what attracts them"

"Correct Miss Granger."

I was in my first potions lesson with the new professor. Hermione granger was answering him after he asked what the several potions displayed on the table were. Several girls at the front of the room were stumbling forward to the potion, no doubt because of the overwhelmingly attractive smell of the potion. The fumes didn't quite reach me at the back of the classroom, but nonetheless, Slughorn put the lid of the cauldron onto the potion and the girls immediately stepped back as if they were being snapped out of a trance.

"Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one" I heard a girls voice say from the front of the room.

"Ahhh, yes. Felix felicis. Or more commonly known as-"

"Liquid luck" Hermione interrupted the professor.

I had been stood at the back of the class room with my usual companions of Cass Blaise and now Draco. Cass and Blaise were having a quiet discussion about something that I couldn't quite make out and Draco was continuing remaining silent and brooding.

I contemplated speaking to him about before, but as I was about to tap him on the shoulder, his interest was suddenly taken by the words of Granger. His sudden movement caused me to pull my hand back.

"And this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny bottle of liquid luck to the student who produces an acceptable brew of living death which you will find in your textbooks. Get to work!"

...

"Draco"

We were working on the same table and I was attempting to cut up an ingredient for my potion. I wanted to say something to Malfoy.

"What do you want" he replied to me not taking his eyes off of his textbook.

"Erm.." I knew what I wanted to say but didn't want to give this bully the satisfaction of saying it.

"Spit it out" he said aggravated.

"Alright. What you said before. About your father" my words caused him to look up from his book and stare into my eyes. It was as if he was saying 'be ver careful what you say next'. "I just- I forgot about that. Sorry for being insensitive" I said it quickly, almost hoping he didn't hear me.

He looked at me in a judgemental way before saying
"Just drop it. Ok?" Before turning back to his book. "Just shut it."

"Jesus Malfoy I was trying to apologise. Even when I apologise to someone who doesn't deserve it your still an asshole." I snapped back at him. What was I thinking? He didn't deserve an apology. I resumed cutting up my ingredients. Malfoy didn't say another word and simply continued brewing his potion. It was at least five minutes before I heard him speak again.

"Sorry." The words were hardly more than a whisper but I still heard them.

"You what?" I said in response to Draco.

"Forget it," he said in his usual irritated tone.

"No no, you see I heard you say sorry, but I can't process it" I said laying the spoon I was using to mix my potion with down. "Is Draco Malfoy actually apologising for something? Do you feel ok"

"Fuck off Wright. I was only apologising for snapping when you were trying to apologise, but if your going to be like that I won't bother next time."

"That's more like it" I said picking my spoon back up. Draco went back to his potions but seemed like he was struggling to concentrate.

"Why were you so quiet yesterday?" I took the opportunity to ask him. "Is it because of... you know. Your dad?"

"Can't you just leave it?" He said.

"No I can't. You've either been an asshole to me or not spoken"

"I'm always an asshole to you" he said with a scoff.

"I'm well aware of that. So why were you so quiet yesterday?" He didn't answer me. He simply started stirring his cauldron not looking at me. "Malfoy answer me". He pulled his spoon from the pot and slammed it on the desk causing me to jump slightly.

"I've told you before it's none of your business. And don't act like you would care anyway" he said while looking at his cauldron, leaning on the desk with his hands.

"Well clearly I would or I wouldn't be asking."

"I don't need you help Wright. Get in in your head. Just let me concentrate for the love of god," he snapped back at me.

"And since when do you care so much about potions?" I knew I was being annoying, but quite frankly I didn't care.

"Since-" he said immediately after I finished speaking but held himself back before saying any more. "I thought I told you to shut it".

He walked over to the other side of the room to pick up some more ingredients for his potion. I didn't know much about Draco but I knew him enough to know that something was going on that he wasn't telling anyone about. At first I told myself it was simply that he didn't like the fact he was back in school, but it was clearly something more than that. He seemed agitated the whole lesson, almost paranoid. He wouldn't be acting as if there was some sort of secret behind his mood if it were simply due to being at school. There was something up. And I wanted to know what.

...

"Merlins beard. It's perfect!"

Harry was being praised for his amazing brew of living death that he had concocted in the hour. The potion was desperately tricky to make - even Hermione granger, who excelled in every spell charm or potion she attempted, had a cauldron of burnt green slop on her desk and her hair was messy and matted from the smokes coming off of it.

"As promised, your felix felisis. Use it well". Slughorns words earned a half hearted dreary clap from the class, most of the participants being Gryffindors. Malfoy, I noticed, was standing in the corner of the room glaring at Potter. This was nowhere near unusual, but instead of the menacing glare of distaste he usually had, he instead had a look of pure angered upset on his face - he looked furious.

I couldn't make out why he was so seemingly angered with Potter. Was he jealous of the potion he had won? It was a possibility but surely he wasn't that upset about it. I mean, it was only an hour or so worth of potion. Why did he look so angry?

I left the classroom and joined Cass outside to make our way to defence against the dark arts.

...