Thirty Seven - Runaways

"The world is ugly
But you're beautiful to me"

-Gerard Way

...

"Come up to my dorm after ten when everyone is asleep. Don't be seen."

I had slipped the note into Draco's hand at the end of our dark arts lesson, the last that day. I had made sure no one was looking and discreetly placed it into his palm, watching from the doorway as he hang back in class reading it. He glanced at me with the slightest nod and I turned away to head to my dorm before I was lead to dinner.

...

I heard a gentle tap on my dorm door and I immediately knew who it was. The time was 10:28 and I rushed to my door and opened it slightly, checking just in case it wasn't who I thought, but sure enough I saw Draco in the doorway. I quickly let him inside shutting and locking the door.

"Are you sure they won't notice you are gone?" I questioned him.

"They never want me after this time" he assured me.

"Well in that case" and I pulled him into a kiss, him placing his hands on my waist and me wrapping mine around his neck.

...

"Can't you just stay the night?"

"I wish I could. I really do, but they will be looking for me in the morning"

Me and Draco were lay on my bed, my head rested on his chest and him stroking my hair lightly. We were staring up at the ceiling, the gentle sound of the rain splashing against the window filling our ears.

I sat up slightly and leant my head on my hand looking down at Draco. I smiled at him, noticing how the colour had returned to his cheeks and his eyes no longer looked soulless. He blonde hair was a messy tangle but it suited him perfectly. He was still wearing his pants and school shirt that he wore beneath his robes. His skin was pale, but not in the greyish way that it usually was - more so looking like he was constantly illuminated by moonlight. Everything about him made me fall for him even deeper. A faint smile made its way onto his face too.

"What if we ran away?" I said to him grasping his hand on top of his torso. He let out a small laugh.

"To where" he asked.

"Anywhere. Anywhere but this school, if you can call it that." I replied to him. His smile grew bigger as he looked at me.

"To that little house you were talking about?" He said. "You want me there?"

"Of course I do" I told him. "We could runaway, leave no trace of us. Leave everything behind, forget it all. Move into that little house. Go on adventures through the forest, get lost. Just the two of us". He was looking at me with a huge cheesy smile plastered on his face. "What?" I laughed, looking away from him feeling my cheeks flush red slightly.

"I would love that" he said. I looked back at him not able to wipe the smile off my face. "Just us?"

"Just us"

He snaked his hand around to the back of my head into the bottom of my hair. I moved over him, my head over the top of his. I cupped both his cheeks with my hands, his other hand making it's way to the side of my face. I leant down and kissed him, our lips interlocked and my hair falling down the side of his head. Our bodies pressed together, the cold of his hands against my warm cheeks. We released our kiss for a moment.

"I love you" he said. I lay there smiling like an idiot. He had said it before - when he told me why he didn't stop trying to talk to me. But never like this.

"I love you too Draco" and I placed my lips back onto his.

...

And that was the way we would see each other for the following month. He would sneak up to my dorm each night just after ten, still bringing me small portions of food. It still tore me apart that I couldn't tell anyone.

I had confessed to him that Cass knew about us. I thought he would be upset with me, but I assured him that she wouldn't tell anyone and that seemed to calm him. He told me that he didn't mind, just as long as I was absolutely certain that the secret was safe. Neither of us were content with having to keep it a secret, only being able to see each other for a few hours each night and then having to say goodbye to each other, going another day before being able to speak again. The worst part was sitting near or next to him in class and not being able to say anything to him, or passing him in the halls and having to act like I couldn't see him.

But it was what had to be done.

Nothing unusual happened during the days at school so we had nothing in particular to talk about when we were together, yet we still managed to have conversations that lasted hours.

A few nights ago, just the beginning of March, Draco had brought me a parcel wrapped in parchment. I tore it off and it revealed a book that I had never heard of before. I had told him how I had finished my other book and had no means of getting a new one. He told me he had requested it off of his mother to send to him and it had arrived that morning.

It was a book with a beautifully illustrated cover, the back telling me that it was a story about a forbidden romance between two women and their plot to escape the town they lived in. He said it reminded me of that night we had discussed running away together. At the time it seemed just like a fantasy, but the more we spoke about it the more I desperately wished I could pull it into reality.

I had more than once fallen asleep lying on his chest, our hands intertwined, him stroking my head gently as I dozed off. I could often hear him gently humming to himself as I fell asleep, his voice soothing my mind. I could sense him looking down at me as I did, my mind drifting off while my body was in his embrace.

But I always woke up alone. He wasn't holding me anymore, him having slipped away silently when I was asleep back to his own dorm. Those nights where I fell asleep on him were certainly the best, but the mornings were awful - just another reminder that I couldn't have him all the time and that we would be separated after those few hours at night.

...