Thirteen - In the Moonlight

"You calm my mind and set my soul on fire. Your that beautiful combination."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

"There you are! Where the hell did you go?"

"Cass, she didn't feel well. We suspect it was Eddie with one of his Zonko's products."

"Don't accuse me! I haven't done anything. Wait did I? I can't remember. Kidding!"

I could hear the conversation around me but wasn't immersed in it. The only thing I was focusing on was the fact that Draco had been constantly glancing at me since I had sat down at the table. The only available seat on the bench was one next to him after Zack had sat next to Blaize and I tried with all my strength to not look into his eyes that I could see out of the corner of my eye pointed in my direction - I knew that once I looked into his piercing eyes I wouldn't be able to pull away.

I ate in silence. There were huge piles of pancakes and fruits scattered along the tables and I had one of them on my plate. I had only managed a few mouthfuls, the knot of nerves in my throat making it hard to swallow.

I didn't involve myself in any conversation happening at the table apart from the odd nod and mumble of 'yeah' in agreement. It was taking all my energy focusing on trying to act as though Draco wasn't sat next to me.

"Helena, can we talk later?" His voice was little more than a deep whisper, him making sure no one heard but me. I couldn't respond - I didn't trust my words. I don't know what it was about his voice, but it chilled me to the bone. Not in a frightful way however. More like cold water hitting the back of my neck after a day in blistering heat. I didn't respond to him.

"Helena I'm sorry. I- I don't know what happened I just-"

"Cass pass us the orange juice" I interrupted him. Anything to stop his voice slowly melting me.

She handed me the large jug, placing it into my shaking hands. I poured myself a glass with no intent to drink it. I may just choke on it if I did. Draco was staring at his hands that lay in his lap in defeat.

I hated making him feel that way. But I couldn't respond to him. I knew not what to say.

...

We had spent the Christmas Day in the Slytherin common room, members of every house with us that had been let in by other Slytherins. There was excitement and joy filling each corner of the often calm common room. A few other Slytherins such as Millicent Bulstrode, Pansy Parkinson and Daphne Greengrass had joined us. The nine of us shared several games of wizards chess and trying out a few of the potion laced sweets that Eddie had collected that made you make sounds of different animals when you ate them - a particularly entertaining one being when Cass started producing the noises of an elephant and parading around the common room. It certainly was entertaining.

But my mind was still occupied.

Me and Draco were sat a good distance away from each other, though each time I stole a glance at him I saw his head turn away from me. We both wanted to say something. But neither of us had the courage to. And we didn't know what we wanted to say regardless.

...

"Pleeeaassee its tradition!"

"Helena its bloody freezing I'm not going! Plus, it's time for the feast soon."

It was 4pm. We had left the common room more than once to meet up with some Ravenclaws that Cass was friends with. We had come back to the common room to get dressed for going to the Christmas evening feast in the great hall. Each Christmas, the students of Hogwarts got dressed up to go to the feast. It was never instructed but everyone did it.