Twenty Four - Just Jewellery

"I am still learning how to go back and re read my own chapters without feeling like I want to set all of my pages on fire"

-E.V Rogina

・゚: *・゚:*  

"He told me to give it to you. I didn't know what it was" said Blaize.

"Why didn't he come to me himself? Why did you take it from him?" I questioned him angrily. I had read over the letter from Draco several times. He wanted to speak to me tomorrow. Surely he must be delusional if he thought I would even entertain the idea of speaking to him.

"He probably knew you wouldn't accept it from him. And he's a death eater, I'm not going to refuse it. I don't need another detention with the Carrows."

Earlier that day, Blaize was asked to practice the killing curse but he refused. The Carrow twins, two workers of the dark lord, are those in charge of punishment at the school. And believe me they were sadistic. Their punishments often included physical beatings, but that was if you were lucky. The cruciatous curse was one of their favourite spells. They laughed as their victims lay on the floor writhing in pain. I had only received one beating from them - I refused to torture first year Gryffindors.

The school was completely run by you know who, Snape posing as a headmaster that Dumbledore wanted. It was known that Snape had been a death eater prior to the dark lords downfall, but everyone, including me and Dumbledore, were under the impression that he has switched sides. Obviously not.

The common rooms had been stripped of any luxuries such as couches and pillows, the only things in the common room were the fire, a few rickety wooden chairs and our dorms. The dorms now only had beds in them - there were no drawers or wardrobes, our only places to keep our clothing were the trunks we owned. Anything remotely valuable from the common room or dorm was taken away from us. When Snape took over the school, our dorms were raided by the people he employed. Any personal belongings that we didn't hide were taken away from us, leaving us with only our beds and clothes.

However, us as Slytherins probably had it the best. Ravenclaws, Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors weren't given any chairs, any beds. They had to sleep on the cold floor of their common rooms, their dorms being blocked off. We may of been the schools favourite house now, but we certainly weren't treated well.

"Blaise I'm sorry," I said to him after a few moments. I had sounded angry with him. "I shouldn't be mad at you. Are you ok? From before with the Carrows"

"Yeah I'm fine" he said, though he had a scab over his lip were it had been busted by one of the Carrows. "I'd rather this than learn those curses." I looked at him. I admired that he took the beating each time as opposed to torturing first years or killing animals. The others had as well, along with me.

As Slytherins, the death eaters expected us to be as cold hearted as they were, but we weren't. There were only a select few of the house that enjoyed such practices and they were often praised and given luxuries such as more food. We were given two meals a day, one before school that was usually just half a slice of toast with nothing on it, a whole piece if you were lucky, and one at night that was usually a small sandwich with stale bread and hardly any filling or a tiny portion of cold soup. All of us grew hungrier by the day, but it was enough to keep us alive.

Snape had been headmaster for three weeks, but the school had gone from what was once a welcoming homely building into a cold prison. No letters were allowed to leave the castle and any trips out side of the grounds had been forbidden to cut us off from the outside world. They let us have our letters from home, I can only assume to torture us further, knowing we can't reply. 

Harry, Ron and Hermione had not returned to Hogwarts, no one knew were they were, but the ministry were desperately trying to find him. The ministry had been infiltrated by you know who and he was running it, pushing his anti muggle born motives. But the search for the trio hadn't been successful yet.

"Are you going to talk to him?" Eddie asked me. I eyed him as if he was insane.

"Surely your joking?" I said to him. "Why would I speak to him? We all know what he is. What a monster he is. Why would I want to be in the same room as him, let alone have a discussion with him?"

"What was it that he said to you? That night he showed you?" Cass said.

"You know what he said. And we all know he is a liar." They were referring to when Draco said that he didn't have a choice. Surely he did. He wouldnt of followed through with the plan if he didn't want to.

"I mean..." Zack started, I eyed him. "Nevermind"

"What?" I asked him. He ignored me. "Zack, what were you going to say" I raised my voice.

"It's just... we all know he could be an ass. But- none of us would ever guessed it."

"What are you trying to say Zack?" I said to him.

"I'm just... maybe he is telling the truth." Surely he wasn't serious. He had the dark mark. He was one of them. He was no different from Snape, from Bellatrix, from the Carrows.

"And if he isn't? Zack he is one of them. No matter what you think, he is one of them" he stayed silent from my words.

"Helena" said Cass. "Why do you still wear that necklace?"

I looked over to her. She was talking about the pendant around my neck that Draco had given me in Christmas. It had never occurred to me to take it off. In fact, I hadn't since when I put it on...

"I don't know what you are trying to suggest Cass, but I hope it's not what I think it is." I said to her. She thought I still wanted him.

"I'm not suggesting anything, I'm just asking you. Surely you would if taken it off?" She replied.

"It's just a nice necklace. It doesn't mean anything." She eyed me suspiciously. "If it's that much of a deal then here." I stood up from off of the windowsill of the common room I was sat on. I reached around the back of my neck and unclasped the necklace. I dangled it in front of me displaying it to them.

"It doesn't mean anything" I said stuffing it in my pocket.

"Ok, ok I believe you." Cass said. She too stood up from the wooden chair she was sat on. "It's late, I'm going to go up. You guys coming? We have defence against the dark arts tomorrow, don't want to be late to that" it was around 11:30 at that point.

"Yeah I'm gonna go up too" Blaize said. The others started to stand up showing they were doing the same.

The boys went off to their dorms and me and Cass went to ours. Mine was close to the top of the stair way and the one that Cass shared with a girl named Penelope was half way up.

"See you tomorrow" I said quietly as Cass stopped at her door way - Penelope was already asleep in the room.

"Night" she said before opening the door. I had only made it up a few steps before I heard her open the door and whisper to me.

"You know, I've never seen him without it. Not once have I seen him not wearing that ring you gave him".

I turned around to face her but she shut the door just as I did.

Why were they all under the impression that I still liked him? Hadn't I made it obvious? I hadn't spoken to him since that night on the astronomy tower. And I didn't plan to.

I turned away from her door in my way up to my dorm, shoving my hands in my pockets in frustration, the cold metal of the necklace lacing itself between my fingers

...