Simula

Safe

"Yuki, where have you been? Mag-impake ka na, hindi ba at sinabihan na kita?"

My godmother told me as I appeared inside our tiny room. I just finished playing outside the apartment we are living with my friends, mostly girls from the neighborhood.

I saw her sitting on the mat and I noticed all of our things were sort, our room looks clean and spacious all of a sudden. Confusion began to cross my face as I stared at her quickly putting her clothes inside a big bag, bit trembling. My small thin body tried to sit on the high chair beside our small wooden table. I began to ask her, again and again.

"But, Okāsan, why are we leaving though? I don't want to. Yadda, I want to stay here more." I told her when I sat up properly and stared at her once again. She stopped and went to me.

She gripped my thin shoulder and I saw her eyes so teary. "Yuki, y-you... we are not safe here anymore, we need to leave. Please, listen to Okāsan, hmm?"

Her red full lips smiled at me but I felt something on her smile, it saddens me. Her eyes are twinkling with something that was crystallized, anytime soon will break down and will scatter to pieces. I feel scared I'll get to see that... I can't bear to see it.

Questions always filled inside my head and answers won't ever thrown to me. It was always thrown from the other side, answering no one instead of me who's craving for it.

At my young age, only few things were taught to me. It was like, those things I need to know weren't allow me to know. The more I probe, the more I want to know some other things. I always try. I'm always trying to figure out things... around me and about myself or to what I really am.

"How about my other Okāsan? Ninang Osaka? Ninang Suzi? How about them? Will they go with us too?" I probe her more. My innocence is eating me right now.

"They will stay here..."

"But they are our family too, right? We can't leave them here..."

"It's alright, Yuki. They will be fine here, and you want to meet my family in the Philippines, right?" I nodded repeatedly and smiled at her.

Thinking about her family always makes me happy. She told me things about them that makes me want to meet them personally. She filled my head about how great and how good the feeling is to have a real and complete family, about every member of it loves each other, supports each other and takes good care of each other.

I was orphan since I was born. My mother died because of giving birth of me. Ninang Bonita Rosales who was acquainted to my real mom which is Miyurin Salvatorre, had always been with me since I was born and until now that I was eight years of age. She was there when my mom gave birth of me and she was there too when she died after locking me with her weakening arms. Ninang Bonita took me and we lived in this small unit of her apartment here in Tokyo where they're working to together with my mom. She took care of me. She loves me more than anything else, like she will do anything to protect me. She always made me feel loved like her own child.

And about my japanese father whereabouts, I don't know. I don't know about him and Ninang never mentioned about him though. And I don't care about him anymore. He abandoned us. Me.

"Then you'll get to meet them there, they are waiting for us..."

I nodded at her and hugged her neck. She stroked the back of my head as she keep on murmuring something. I can smell her enticing smell of perfume like she used to spray to her body whenever she's at work.

After she packed her things, she helped me with mine. She's all smiles at me as if making me feel everything is all fine. And I smiled wider too, innocently.