Family Dinner

"Are these outfits really necessary?" I ask annoyed as I walked downstairs to my brothers.

"Appearance is a way of showing respect, Kara. Mother will be more likely to surrender her true intentions." Elijah tells me.

"Well, I doubt her guard will drop just 'cause I'm dressed like a bloody lawyer." Nik backs me up. I look over and laugh at his pout.

Elijah starts lighting candles. "We need every advantage we can get, Niklaus, Kara."

"You always did excel in diplomacy. Just know, if she tries anything, I'll tear her new body to pieces." Nik tells us both.

I hear someone laugh. I look up at the door to see a man, I can feel the power radiating off of him.

"You two haven't changed a bit!" He looks to Elijah.

"Linens and silk to disguise your pathetic self-loathing."

He looks to Nik. "And you-- despite the arrogant façade, you're still the same paranoid little boy, full of hate and fear."

He then turns to me.

"My, my, my. I must say you're change didn't surprise me at all. Love was what you needed to see the beauty you posses. I always thought you were a mini me."

I look at my brothers, Nik is wearing a rather offended look. Elijah just looks at him confused befroe walking to him.

"Forgive me, I don't believe I've had the pleasure." Elijah responds.

The mystery man feigns offense. "Oh, you mean you don't recognize me? So much for the unbreakable bonds of family, huh? Always and forever indeed."

I gasp as Nik growls a little. "It's been a long time, Finn." Nik seethes.

"Now that the introductions are out of the way, let's eat!"

—————————————

We all sat down at our respective places. Elijah poured a glass of wine for our eldest brother.

Finn wafts the wine so he can smell it. "What an aromatic bordot."

"Well, it was a challenge to find a good pairing. What wine goes well with treachery?" Nik asks him.

"Don't pout, brother. Tonight is meant to be a happy occasion!" Finn says joyful.

He whispers something in one of the servers' ears. I glance at Nik who looks skeptical. I start eating.

"What exactly are we celebrating?" Elijah asks.

"Why, my return, of course! Remember, I spent nine hundred years--" He looks at Nik.

"-- right?-- lying daggered in a box. I'm rather enjoying this new body. Strolling about your lovely city that, uh, you've made your home. But, do tell me-- what'd I miss? Regale me with your contributions to society! Medicine? Philosophy? Art?"

Finn asks with fake curiosity. "Wasn't our lovely sister also fathered during the time you were here?" Finn asks Nik. I look up at them.