Every King needs an Heir

Elijah and I vamp speed to see Nik drinking a bottle of bourbon. "Have I not made clear my desire to be left alone?" I roll my eyes at his sentence. "Funny, I wanted to be left alone too, we don't always get want we want." Elijah puts his hand on my arm.

"Oh, you demand to be left alone at least once a decade. Your words have ceased to have impact." I nod in agreement with Elijah. Nik didn't like either of our comments, he threw the bottle on the street and glass shattered everywhere.

"Why must you two keep harping on about the baby? That child will never be born. In fact, Hayley is probably dead already." I glare at him but before I could say anything Elijah speed over to him and grabbed him by the throat.

"You will not walk away from this!" Elijah threatened him. I just stood in my place. I knew this was going to get ugly very fast.

"Let. Me. Go." Nik told Elijah with fire in his eyes. "I WILL NOT!" Elijah shouted at Nik. Elijah threw Nik on the ground, then picked him back up not letting him go.

"Don't make me say it again." Nik threatens Elijah. "I will not let go. I will never let go." I wince as Nik grabs Elijah and throws him against a iron fence.

"BOYS!" I shout but they ignore me. Elijah breaks a rod off the fence. He walks over to Nik. "Elijah!" I threaten. He pays no attention to me.

"Even if I have to spend eternity saving you from your own stubborn, petulant, vile self..." Elijah speeds to Nik and hits him with it. "If I have to beat you as father used to beat you, to remind you of your own humanity, to care about anything..."

I glare at Elijah. "Elijah! Watch your tongue!" Neither of them listen as Elijah tries to hit Nik again. Nik grabs the rod and starts hitting Elijah. He hits Elijah so hard that Elijah flies a few meters away from Nik where he stays on the ground.

Nik walks over and Elijah stays on the floor. I speed over to them and stand in the middle. "You're beyond pathetic, Elijah." I look over at Nik then down at Elijah. "Well who is more pathetic? The one who sees hope to make his family whole, or the coward who only see the world through his own fear?"

"I haven't cared about anything for centuries. Why on earth do you?" Nik answers truthfully. "Because I failed you. Because the first time our father laid a hand on you, I should have struck him dead. I made a promise to you: always, forever, family above all."

I close my eyes and sigh. I look at Nik. "We all failed you, Nik." Nik laughs at us and holds a hand out to Elijah. Elijah takes his hand and stands. "You are both sentimental fools." I nod my head.

"Absolutely. But We've lasted this long in spite of it, haven't we, Lijah?"Elijah and I walk off to leave Nik to think.

While Elijah and I gave Nik time to think a little. We were standing at a street corner. "Should I wait to tell Nik?" Elijah sighed and shook his head at me.

"I believe that is another thing that we need to tell him. As much as you dislike him right now, he needs to know, Carine." I nod at him as we walk back to Nik.

He was sitting on a bench. I sat on one side while Elijah sat on the other. "The bond of family blesses us with an immeasurable power. But we also must accept what comes with it. It gives us a responsibility to love without condition, without apology.
We can never waver from the power of that bond, even if it's tested. The bond nourishes us, gives us strength. Without that power, we are nothing."

I sit there and just listen to them. "This town was my home once, and in my absence, Marcel has gotten everything that I ever wanted. Power, loyalty, family. I made him in my image, and he has bettered me. I want what he has. I want it back. I wanna be king." I decide to speak up. "Brothers, I hate to interrupt but who is Marcel. I wasn't awake when you guys were here." They explained briefly to me and I nodded. So Nik had a son.

"So is that all this child means to you? A grab for power?" Elijah continues with their conversation." Nik looks between Elijah and I. "What does it mean to you two?" I nod at Elijah to answer. "I think this child could offer you the one thing that you've never believed you had."

Nik looks at us confused. "And what's that?" I smile at Elijah. "The unconditional love of family." We all stare at each other. "Tell Sophie Deveraux we have a deal." I smile at hug Nik. "One more thing, Nik. Tonight as I was waiting beside Hayley. Sabine, told me that mother made into a hybrid. I don't know when, I didn't even know until tonight." He looks shocked.

"I'll get you her grimore, Flower. I promise." I smile as we get up to retrieve Hayley.

After we got Hayley, we went to what Elijah told me was the old Plantation House. Hayley, Elijah, and I were pulling the sheets off the furniture. Hayley and Elijah pulled a sheet of a crib. Hayley stared coughing and Elijah was immediately alarmed.

"Are you alright?" Hayley nods. "Just dust. This place is ancient." I laugh at her. "As are we, Hayls." She smiles and so does Elijah. "Yes, it should serve our purposes. It's a sanctuary from our business in the Quarter. Right now, you are the most important person in this family. You need a good home. So I'm curious... in all this time, has anyone asked you how you feel?"

Hayley looks at him. "About having a miracle baby with a psychotic one-night-stand?" I wince at that. I walk over to her side. I shake my head. "About being a mother, Hayley." She looks at me, then Elijah.

"I – I was abandoned when I was born and my adoptive parents kicked me out the second that I turned into a wolf. So... I don't really know how I feel about being a mother because I... I never really had a good one."

I nod at that. Neither did we. Elijah stands in front of her. "I will always protect you. You have my word on that." I grab her hand and she smiles at me. "We both will."

I hear Nik appear in the doorway. "And noble Elijah always keeps his word. Kara, as well but she's not on the noble side." I nod at Hayley agreeing with Nik. Elijah looks at Nik.

"Is it done?" I look between them. "I'm not going to ask." Nik smirks at me. "As a matter of fact, yes. Your underhanded deal worked quite well. Marcel was only too happy to accept my blood even as he accepted my heartfelt apologies. His man, Thierry, yet lives and I remain a welcome guest in the French Quarter. My only concern now is this coven of impudent witches."

"At least I'm not one of those impudent witches." Hayley nudges me. "I believe them to be honorable. They did release Hayley to me. Although, they haven't been entirely forthcoming. Marcel obviously has something that they need. They don't want him dead. There must be a reason why."

I shake my head at Elijah. "Well I don't like them one bit, though they did tell me one of the biggest secrets in this family. If you'll excuse me, I will be studying our mother grimore in a room. Goodnight." I smile at Hayley and Elijah. I walk over to Nik.

"Where is it?" Be moved out of my way. "On your bed. Third room to your right. You are right next to Hayley." I nod and speed up the stairs. I shut my door and change. It is going to be a long night.