40

<3rd POV>

The first month of their second year passed by quickly. Very soon it was Halloween. Ever since the week before Halloween, Harry had gotten a strange and very horrible feeling that something is going to happen. 

He hadn't had the time to visit the Chamber of Secrets yet. He was pretty sure that it had something to do with the giant basilisk Alyssa. Jadeite had disappeared off with the basilisk, and had made it clear that she would be disappearing for long periods at a time. 

And on Halloween, his suspicions were only confirmed.

Just as they were about to exit the Great Hall after the usual 31st October feast, they stumbled across a loud and huge crowd. There were many whispers and murmurs as they made their way towards the source of all the commotion.

With a strangled gasp, Daphne's hand intertwined with Harry's, who stared at the petrified cat with shock. He definitely knew that cat. Mrs. Norris was a famous cat who prowled the halls of Hogwarts with her owner, Argus Filch, Hogwarts' caretaker. 

"You'll be next mud bloods!" Theo shouted glancing around the huge crowd.

At that moment, Harry noticed three figures standing awfully close with the petrified figure of the cat. 

Potter, Weasley, and Granger.

Just as Harry was about to say something, the old fool, Lockhart, and Potter Sr. came to the crime scene, closely followed by Severus.

Harry slipped through the crowd, still holding Daphne's hand. 

Once the two arrived in the common room, he finally released the breath he didn't know he was holding.

"What was that all about Harry?" 

Harry glanced at the now empty common room. He knew in a few minutes the common room door will open and the entire Slytherin group will swarm the room.

"I think it's Alyssa. But I don't know why. This doesn't seem like her to do it." 

"To do what? Petrify or kill people?"

"None. Her job was to protect the entire school. Not to kill people." Harry explained, as the door opened and true to his words, the entire group of Slytherins entered and immediately conquered the empty chairs.

"Goodnight Daphne. Talk to you later." Harry said, pressing a kiss to Daphne's forehead, standing up and heading towards the dormitory. But instead of getting ready for bed, he quickly slipped through the shadows and arrived at the Chamber of Secrets.

Walking through the shadowed halls leading to the huge chamber, Harry thought about the strange behavior the giant and ancient basilisk was doing.  

As he entered the hall, the huge form of Alyssa came into view. When he squinted, he could see the sleeping figure of Jadeite sleeping curled up next to Alyssa.

Even though Harry hated doing this, he needed answers.

"Alyssa, can you wake up?" 

The basilisk began to stir as she raised her head up to glare at Harry.

"Sorry for disturbing you Alyssa, but I really need to ask what you remembered about tonight. Did you remember anything?" 

"Yes, actually. I remembered a young girl with red hair, wearing Gryffindor robes, holding a diary. She claimed that she was the heir of Slytherin and told me to attack the foolish cat." Alyssa hissed back, yellow eyes gleaming brightly in the dark hall.

Harry thanked the basilisk before making his way to the study back at the chamber. He vaguely remembered getting a letter from the founders and Merlin that they were going to travel around the world this year. 

Sitting down in the very familiar chair, where he would spent most of his childhood in this exact same chair reading random books, he pondered on who the suspect could be. 

Red hair, Gryffindor robes... Wait.

Didn't a Weasley just get sorted into Gryffindor?

Yes! Some girl called Gummy Weasley, no that's not it. Gibby? Wait, Ginny! 

He was very happy when suddenly his happiness deflated like a balloon being popped on the side. 

He couldn't really blame Ginny without it being too suspicious. If he did, he'll most likely be the person blamed because he knew about the Chamber of Secrets. The exact same Chamber of Secrets that had remained close for years until 50 years ago. When a very specific and familiar person called Tom Riddle (ring any bell for you?) opened, a Ravenclaw students called Myrtle Warren was killed. 

Myrtle Warren... Moaning Myrtle. That's it! He needed to ask Tom for help.

Shadow travelling over to Riddle manor, he immediately made his way up to Tom's study. Luckily, no one was around to ask him what he was doing at the manor at such a late hour.

Slamming the door to Tom's study, Harry noticed that he was about to pour himself a glass of firewhiskey.

"Harry! What the hell was that about?" 

"Nothing. Do you remember 50 years ago, when you opened the Chamber of Secrets?" 

"Of course I did. A rather regretful idea to opened it. Myrtle was definitely annoying but she doesn't deserve to die." Tom rattled on while raising the glass to his lips.

"Right. The thing is, the chamber is opened. Again. I know it was a Weasley who did it. But she claimed that she was the heir of Slytherin. And I'm pretty sure the two of us are the only heirs of Slytherin." Harry explained.

"Ah, Harry, that is part of my master plan." Tom started, a smirk playing at the side of his lips. Harry froze at the familiar smirk.

"What did you do?" 

Tom sighed, gulping down the amber liquid before putting the glass on the table. Harry was surprised at the sudden flips of emotions. Just a while Tom was most probably planning something horrible, and now he was looking as if he was the cause of world's hunger. 

"50 years ago, when I was 16, I was curious and dwelled into the world of dark magic. But I dived too deep, and I found something completely unnatural and definitely against the laws of magic. It's called a horcrux. I was 16, I wanted to be immortal, and I immediately made one. In order to make one, I have to kill someone. Intentionally. And yes, I killed Myrtle." 

Tom's explanation made more sense now. 

"Now you better get back to Hogwarts. Don't want anyone to worry."

Harry could only nod before slipping back to Hogwarts, Tom's words resounding in his mind.