chapter 9✿

Here I am, sitting on my bed waiting for Luke to come pick Michael and I up for the party. It is already 9:15 and Luke isn't here yet, fashionably late I suppose. Minutes pass when I hear a knock on my bedroom door.

"Yeah?" I call, standing up to get my bag, assuming it was Michael at my door.

"Luke's here. Let's go." Michael says, confirming my assumption.

"Coming." I say as I opened the door.

Michael looks at me and furrows his eyebrows.

"What?" I ask.

"Don't you think that's a bit short?" He asks, referring to my dress.

The dress is tight and black, and yes, it was fairly short. "It's a party, Mikey. Let me dress how I want." I groan, walking past him and down the stairs to put my shoes on.

I look around but don't see Luke. Michael comes downstairs and slid his shoes on.

"Okay, ready? Luke's in the car." Michael says.

I nod and we walk outside to the car. I get in the backseat and avoid all possible eye contact with Luke.

Not long after, we pull into the driveway of Cora's house. Luke shuts off the car and Michael turns around to face me.

"So, uh, May. I know you got mad at me for not spending time with you while you're here but I was wondering if tonight you could make an exception? Just this once? It's kinda Cora's birthday so I uh- you know.." Michael says, trailing off.

"Aye! That a boy!" Luke exclaims, fist bumping Michael.

Then I realize what he meant. "Oh- ew Michael!" I shrieked, scrunching my nose in disgust.

"I didn't even say anything!" Michael says, laughing.

"You didn't have to! The last thing I need to hear about is my brother's sex life." I say, utterly grossed out.

"Okay, that's where this conversation ends." Michael says, opening the door, then quickly looking back at me. "So, it's okay though right?"

I nod my head. "Yeah, don't worry about it. I'll just hang out with Calum or something." I say, as we all make our way inside.

Not even an hour of being here and I'm already alone. I was with Calum until some girl came up to him and I didn't feel like being a third wheel.

I walk into the kitchen and pour myself a beer.

"Drinking alone?" A voice asks from behind me.

I turned around to see someone I don't recognize.

"Unfortunately." I say, laughing lightly.

"Mind if I keep you company?" He asks.

"Be my guest." I say.

He leans over to a pour himself a drink before introducing himself. "I'm Jace." He says, extending his hand out.

"May." I say, shaking his hand.

"Are you new in town?" He asks me.

"I'm just here for the summer visiting my brother." I explain.

"Who's your brother?" He asks.

"Michael." I say with a smile.

"Clifford?" He asks.

Were they friends?

"Uh, yeah?" I say, more like a question than an answer.

He smirks and puts his arm around my shoulders.