chapter 15✿

I pull out and my phone and press Ian's contact. I begin to call him but am immediately sent to voice mail. Did he send me to voicemail or did his phone die? I decide to leave a message. 

"Ian, it's me. Meet me at my mum's house as soon as you get this okay?" I suddenly realize that I sound panicky and I don't want him thinking anything is wrong. "Everything's fine, I just uh- I just want to spend as much time with you as possible before you go home." I lie. "Okay, hurry." I say before hanging up. 

I need to put Luke out of my mind right now, and the only way I could do that is if I spend as much time with Ian as I could. I know it isn't right to use him as a distraction but right now, I can't think clearly.

As much as I want to be with Luke, it isn't practical. I've known him all of three weeks. Plus, he is my brother's best friend. I couldn't put Michael in that position. And I've been dating Ian for months, I can't just leave him simply because I feel something with someone else. This feeling will pass, it has too.

I walk as fast as possible to my mum's house. I open the door and immediately see my mum passed out on the couch.

"Of course." I huff.

"Ian? Are you here?" I say aloud, only to get no response.

I walk upstairs and head straight for Michael's room. I need to distract myself from the real world for a while and the best way to do that is a few good rounds of Call of Duty.

I am brought back to reality by a knock at the door. I glance over at the clock to see that I've been playing for two hours. I shut off the game and walk downstairs to get the door.

I open the door to see Ian standing there with a suitcase in his hand.

"What took you so long?" I ask him.

"The owner of that motel was giving me a hard time on giving me my money back." He explains.

"Did you not get my message?" I ask him.

"Oh uh-no, my phone died." He says.

Why did he stutter like that?

"Is everything okay, Ian?"

"Yeah, babe. Everything's great. Just missed you, that's all." He says as he kisses my cheek and walks into the house, putting his suitcase down.

"Well, it's getting late. Are you hungry?" I ask.

"Starved." He says as he brings his hand to his stomach.

"I know this great diner down the street. They make the best burgers in-"

"I was thinking we could have dinner at Luke's house." He says.

I widen my eyes. "W-why?" I ask.

"Because..he's your friend isn't he? And you're staying there. Plus, I haven't seen your brother in a long time. You would eat there if I wasn't here right? So don't change your whole day plan around just for me." Ian says.

"I don't think that's a good idea. You and Luke didn't exactly get off on the right foot. And you barely even know my brother." I say.

He raises his eyebrow. "Is there a reason you don't want to have dinner there, May?"

"What? No, of course not! Alright fine. You want to go there, we'll go there." I say as I walk out the door, hoping he catches on and follows.

After what feels like the shortest walk ever, we arrive at Luke's.

"Aren't you gonna ring the bell?" Ian asks me.

"What? Oh, yeah right." I say, breaking out of my daze.

The door opens slowly to reveal Luke. I really hope he doesn't mention anything about earlier.

"What are you doing here?" He asks with no anger in his voice, only hurt.

"Uh, Ian wanted to have dinner with you and Michael. Is that okay?" I ask hesitantly.

"Why wouldn't it be okay?" Ian shoots.

I nudge his arm. "Don't be rude." I say to him.

"Yeah, it's fine. Come on in." Luke says as he stands to the side to let us in.

Ian kicks off his shoes and walks straight over to the couch, turning the tv on as if he lives here.

"Sorry." I say quietly.

"Whatever." Luke says as he walks into the kitchen.

"I'm going to help Luke with dinner." I say to Ian.

"Yeah okay whatever." Ian flicks his hand ushering me to go away as he has his eyes glued to the tv screen.

I roll my eyes. Every minute that Ian is here, I like him less and less. I walk into the kitchen to see Luke with his head in the fridge.

"I didn't really expect to be hosting a meal tonight, so we're having left over macaroni from last night." Luke says.

"I really am sorry. I tried to take him to the diner but he insisted on coming here." I explain.

"That's all your sorry for?" He asks.

I sigh. "Luke, please. Don't start this while Ian is in the other room." I whisper.

"Whatever, May." He says as he shuts the fridge door rather hard and begins to re-heat the macaroni on the stove. I quickly grab plates and utensils and begin to walk out of the kitchen to set the table.

I turn back around. "Oh um, Luke? Could you uh, could you not-"

"I won't say anything." Luke answers my question before I finish asking it.

I bite the inside of my mouth and nod as I walk out of the kitchen.

I finish setting the table and begin to walk over to sit with Ian when the front door opens.

"Anyone home?" Michael yells.

"Mikey, we're right here. Don't yell." I laugh.

"Sorry, I thought you were up- Ian?!" Mikey shouts.

"Hey man." Ian says casually.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Michael raises his voice.

"Michael!" I scold.

"Visiting my girlfriend. Why? Are you not happy to see me, Michael?" Ian asks with a smirk on his face.

"I think you should go back to Melbourne. No one fucking wants you here. I sure as hell don't want you near my sister." Michael shouts.

"Michael stop!" I beg. Why was Michael acting this way? I know he doesn't exactly like Ian but I thought he would have kept his cool for me at least.

"Aw what's wrong Michael? We used to be friends once upon a time. Don't you remember?" Ian asks, his smirk growing.

"That was a long fucking time ago. I mean it, leave." Michael threatens, anger laced in his voice.

"Look Michael," Ian stands up from the couch and walks over to my brother, "you may have been top shit back in Melbourne, but that ended the day you moved to Sydney. You don't scare me anymore, so you better watch the way you fucking talk to me."

"Ian, don't talk to my brother that way." I yell at him.

"Would you guys all shut up? Dinner's ready." Luke says as he sits down at the table. 

Michael and Ian look at each other before Michael walks over to the table and sits beside Luke.

"Still think it was a good idea to come here for dinner?" I whisper to Ian.

"Oh, i'm just getting started." Ian says as he walks over to the table and sits across from Michael with a smirk plastered on his face.

What is that supposed to mean?