chapter 78✿

We turn around to see Principal Andrews standing over us.

"Oh, hello sir." Luke says.

"Luke Hemmings. It's been a while."

"Yeah uh," Luke chuckles slightly, "it has."

Principal Andrews clears his throat before speaking. "We've gotten several complaints about you being here. And with your past behaviour at this school, i'm going to have to ask you to please leave."

What? What is he talking about? We can't just leave. Luke didn't even do anything wrong.

"I beg your pardon?" I say, standing from my seat.

"Look, Luke, you seem like you've changed and well, that's good for you. But many people here tonight have complained about you being here and some staff and chaperones overheard kids saying they didn't feel safe with you being here." He says.

"What are you talking about? Don't feel safe?! Luke's not some sort of criminal." I raise my voice.

"I never said he was, May." Principal Andrews says.

"You didn't have to say those exact words to get your point across." I spit.

"May, we should just go." Luke says quietly to me.

"No!" I say louder. "With all due respect Principal Andrews, this is my prom and I don't intend on leaving until the night is over."

"I didn't say you had to leave."

"Wha- you expect me to stay here without Luke?"

"Could you lower your voice please?" He asks me.

"Principal Andrews this isn't fair at all!" I yell louder this time.

"Would you like to move this conversation to my office? People are trying to enjoy their prom." He says.

My jaw drops.

"Yeah! So am I!"

"Ms. Clifford, might I remind you that you still attend this school, and raising your voice with the principal is grounds for suspension, detention at the least." My principal states.

"Who even complained about Luke being here? He isn't bothering anyone!"

"Several people have. Luke, i'm not going to ask again. I will have security remove you physically if you do not leave on your own."

"But i'm not even doing anything wrong." Luke says.

"Typically people with a—history like yours, aren't usually allowed back in the school after their legal graduation."

"That's the most ridiculous fucking rule i've heard!" Luke raises his voice, slamming his hand on the table causing the glass plates to clank.

Just then, principal Andrews gives a hand gesture to the security at the door, signaling them to come over here.

"Is that really necessary?" I yell.

"Look the security isn't needed, i'm going okay." Luke says as he takes my hand and begins to walk towards the doors.

"No! We aren't leaving! Luke, you did nothing wrong tonight and we deserve to have fun at our prom." I exclaim.

"Come here." Luke says, pulling me aside so that he can talk to me without everyone listening in.

"Baby, it's okay. We had fun while it lasted. Besides, staying now wouldn't even be fun since we know i'm not welcome here. Security will throw me out if I don't go voluntarily. We need to leave."