chapter 27✿

It has been a week since my mother stormed into Luke's house, and i'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about what she said all week. It wouldn't leave my mind. My every thought was consumed by what she possibly could have meant. I've racked my brain trying to come up with possible explanations of what she could have meant by "mistake."

I know i'm going to go crazy if I don't find out what she meant soon. I need to go to see my father.

"Do you think we could go see my dad?" I ask Luke as we lay on his bed.

Michael had gone over to Cora's house so we luckily got the day to ourselves.

"I thought we were already going to see him?" He asks as he strokes my hair.

"I mean like, now. Not right this second but sometime this week." I say.

"Sure but, what makes you want to go so suddenly?" He questions.

"Because I need to find out what the mistake was. If I don't, i'm going to go crazy. It's all i've been thinking of all week. I need to find out so my mind can focus on something other than my drunk mother and her secrets." I explain.

"May, you're probably wracking your brain over nothing. You're making yourself go crazy over something that a drunk said. But, if it'll make you happy, i'll book three tickets for as soon as possible." Luke says.

I smile and lean up to give him a quick peck. Luke always understands me. No matter how crazy I might sound or how annoying I might be being, he always sticks by my side.

"You know what this means though right?" He asks and I nod.

We were going to have to tell Michael about us before we go.

"But, maybe we don't have to tell him." I say.

"May," Luke whines.

"No but just think about it. I could just say we're bringing you because you don't want to be alone in the house. Your mom extended her trip at your brother's house for the rest of the summer, so if Michael and I go to our dad's, you'll be alone for a couple days. You can just say you don't want to be alone. Plus, Michael already thinks you and I are good friends, so it wouldn't be to weird. Just talk to Michael more than you talk to me. Act like you're coming for him and not me." I say.

"I don't know May, this doesn't seem like a good idea."

"I know it doesn't but, i'm not ready to tell him just yet. We can just tell him when we come back. I need to figure out exactly what to say to him."

"Okay. We'll tell him when we come back." Luke says.

-

"I'm home." Michael says as he comes inside the house.

"In here." I call from the kitchen.

"What smells so good?" Michael asks as he comes in the kitchen.

"I don't know, because i'm making frozen dinners for all of us." I laugh, as does he.

"Wow May, i'm not royalty! Don't go through that much trouble for me!" He says sarcastically as he laughs.

"Sit at the table, call Luke too." I say.

"You sound like a mother." Michael says.

"Do you want dinner or not?" I tease.

Michael clears his throat. "Sorry i'll uh- call Luke down."

"Luke! Dinner!" Michael screams.

"I could have done that." I laugh.