chapter forty-one.

rose. 

The tension in the air was almost palpable as we ate at the small hotel table. Lucy was oblivious to it all, munching happily on her jam toast. I nibbled cautiously, nibbling round the crusts before biting into the proper toast. I find myself finishing my plate of toast and biting my nails the same way I bit the toast, biting the edges until all my nails were jagged and horrible. I scratched my chin gently, feeling the rough edges of my nails- I need a nail file. I look up and realise everyone was staring at me, my cheeks heating up almost instantly as I flash an awkward smile.

"I have a concert today, you should all come, it'll be great." Zayn speaks, taking the attention away from me.

"Daddy sing?" Lucy questioned, untucking the napkin from her shirt and making an attempt to wipe her sticky mouth.

"Yeah, you and mummy can sit backstage yeah?"

"Yeah!" Lucy looks over at me and I smile in attempt to math her excited expression.

"Where do I go?" Perrie asked, resting her perfectly manicured fingernails on his forearm.

"You can stand with the other boys' girlfriends, yeah?" I feel something drop inside me, tugging down the edges of my lips also.

"C'mon Luce, let's go get ready." I say awkwardly, standing up and helping her out of her chair. 

"Need any help?" Zayn asked, eyeing my ribs.

"I'll be fine." I reply curtly, guiding Lucy towards my room.

"Mummy, mummy! I want my hair pretty." Lucy smiled, causing me to grin.

"Anything for you." I reply, seating her down on the table beside the sink and grabbing her things.

Lucy smiles at me through the reflection of the mirror as I slowly begin to braid her hair. She wiggles in small protest when I institue pain but I was careful, making sure not to hurt myself also. We then go back to the main bedroom where we sift through her suitcase until she found an outfit she liked. I almost felt guilty at the fact I couldn't provide these clothes to her-almost. When I go to help her change, she winces away from me and I immediately frown, was she not used to me anymore?

"Mummy, I do it myself!"

"Are you sure Luce? I can help-"

"No mummy will sore." She frowns. I give her a small smile, seating myself on the bed as she changed. This was until she squeaks and I laugh to see that she had stepped into one leg hole with both her legs. I go to help her carefully, letting her rest her hands on my shoulders as I helped her wear them properly. I untuck her shirt so I could tuck it again properly until I see the familiar purple colour.

"Luce, what's this?" I ask, revealing the small bruise at her hip.

"I fall." Lucy looked down at the floor, her fingers twirling my hair.

"Look at me, Luce- Lucy! Look at me and tell me what happened." 

"I f-fall." She stuttered, revealing she was lying.

"Who did it? Lucy if you don't tell me I will find out. Was it Perrie? It was Perrie wasn't it?"

"No mummy." Lucy frowned, looking down at the ground.

"Who was it?" I ask, tilting her chin up with my finger.

"It was-"

"Hey, are you okay?" Zayn walked in, immediately by my side.

"-daddy." Lucy finishes in a small whisper.

"You did this?" I glare at Zayn as I point at the small marking on Lucy's hip. His eyes widened, his mouth moving instantly.