chapter thirty-six.

rose.

Waking up with my daughter cuddled right beside me made me feel a bit happier. My sleep was constantly plagued with nightmares of watching Lucy being beaten, by Zayn. I give her a small smile, carefully sitting up and getting out of the bed. Nobody else was in our hotel room and I find myself ordering room service. Jam on toast for Lucy and a full big English breakfast for myself. It comes sooner then I thought and we are sat at the small table eating breakfast just as Zayn walks in.

"Mummy!" Lucy panics, her eyes widening as he comes nearer.

I stand up immediately, standing in front of Lucy, my own eyes widening, my hands beginning to sweat. His arm raises and I gasp, my eyes squeezing shut. When I feel no pain, I find myself opening my eyes, seeing Zayn was only running his fingers through his hair, hurt traveling through his eyes.

"Rosie, the boys won't tell me what happened, please. What did I do?" 

"Y-you can't stand so close. Step back!" I find myself shouting, alarms were going off in my head, the need to protect Lucy clear as this monster stood in front of me. He steps back and I find that I can breathe once more.

"What did I do, Rosie please."

"It's R-Rose! You're not allowed in here!" 

"Rose. Listen to me!" My forearms are grasped and the scream escapes my lips before I can stop it.

"Don't hurt me, please. I'll stop, I'll stop! Please" I find myself pleading loudly and he releases me, his eyes widening in shock. I fall onto my knees, my hands clammy as the clasp together.

"You said you'll keep us safe, you promised. Please don't hurt her, hurt me instead. Don't touch her please! I only just got her back!"

"Rose?!" Paul steps in, the boys following straight after, probably hearing my cry.

"Zayn, what's happening?"

"Rose?" 

"I want to go home." I sob, fists wiping my eyes, my body crumpling onto the ground as I cry into the ground. What did I do to deserve all of this?

"Rosie, I wasn't going to hurt you, I-"

"Zayn, leave her be." 

"Ro, I need to talk to you!" I squeak out in pain, looking up at him in confusion.

"I'm talking to Ro in the other room." Zayn says gruffly, grabbing me up to my feet and pushing me towards the room I was sleeping earlier.

I glance back to see Lucy talking to Harry and I find myself slightly calmer. My agitation raises when the door is shut, Zayn stood in front of me. I find myself squaring my shoulders, tensing my body.

"Rosie, whas has gotten into you?" He asked, resting his hands on my shoulders, I flinch and give him a smile.

"N-nothing, nothing." I repeat my words, refusing to let myself stutter.

"Rose!" I jolt, looking up into cold, hard eyes.

"Rose, you listen to me right now. Welcome to the real world, no fūcking around okay?"  Carl growled, eyes hard, fingertips pressing hard into my shoulders, shaking me slightly. 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I shake my head, blinking away the tears.

"So it's okay?"

"What?" I blink, looking up.

"I'll accompany you and Lucy tonight?" 

"Oh, yeah. Sure, okay. Yeah, anything you want."

"Okay, so we're okay?"