Reluctance

Paul arrived at around 4:30 looking fresh. He came straight up and said "boo." I hadn't heard him come in so I guessed that he used the spare keys. I was startled and my instincts kicked in. I elbowed him in the stomach and gave an uppercut to his jaw.

"Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry!." He looked at me and then began laughing hard. "That actually hurt a bit." He mused. "You're lucky I didn't apply my full force." I shot back, or maybe i was the lucky one, All my bones would be shattered if i ever hit Paul so hard. It was a fact! "Where are your bruises and cuts?" I asked. They had disappeared. His face was the paragon of perfection. "I'm a quick healer." He said. Before I could add anything Paul came forward and wrapped his arms around me, resting his cheek on my head. "I missed you so fucking much." He spoke. "Not as much as me." I told him. "You in love with William yet?" He asked as a joke but there was a hint of seriousness in his tone. I hit his shoulder blade gently and then wrapped them around him again.

Paul was so lovely, so pure. He was always warm and caring. I didn't want him taken away. I loved him with all my heart. Loving him scared me.

I pulled back and said, "I should get ready for the bonfire." I wanted to be as away from him as possible.

"Okay." He muttered as I went to my room.

In a few minutes I was ready and I wore warm clothes so that I wouldn't need Paul so close to me. I don't know why I agreed to meet his parents. Maybe because it would make him happy.

I walked out of my room. "Paul?" He came out of my study and said, "Yeah, let's go?" I nodded my head.

We were in his truck when he asked, "Why do you work so much?" I had no idea, I just had to. "It's just how it's been for everyone. My dad worked a lot and so did my grandma and so do Mandy and Richard." I paused. "And so do you." He finished. "Yeah." I added.

"You should take a break sometime." He spoke, eyes still on the road.

"I know."

"Maybe you can take it with me." He winked, and I playfully hit his arm.

"Will your parents be at the fire?" I asked, my nerves kicking in.

"No. I'm taking you to my house after it to meet my dad. He will be late cause of work." I nodded.

"What does he do?"

"He is a doctor at the LaPush hospital." He informed.

"Your Mom?"

"I don't speak to her often. She left my dad when I was eight."

I was speechless. He hadn't mentioned this before. I had no idea.

"Paul, I'm sorry. I had no idea. Yesterday you said 'parents' so I thought...."

"Alex, relax. You had no idea cause I never said anything. Besides, it was a long time ago." He reached for my hand and i took it, firmly lacing our fingers together and pulling it to my mouth. I gave the back of his hand a kiss and the placed it on my thigh.

"I'm sorry." I repeated. We were silent now. I wanted to change the subject.

"Do you have a job?" I was surprised I hadn't asked him before. I was so mesmerized by him to notice other things. "Uh. Yeah. I.... Work with Sam... And he... Uh.... Pays... Me." I tried to understand. "That sounds like a job." Was the only thing I could say.

We reached the beach and I could see Seth, Jake, Embry and Leah already there. Paul got out and then opened my door. I climbed out and he grabbed my hand. The touch suddenly didn't feel right. I was reluctant. He turned to face me and lifted my chin. "You okay, lex?" He asked, his voice low, eyes full of concern. "Yeah." I sounded unsure. "If you don't wanna come then it's fine, you know."

"No, No. I want to come." I protested half heartedly. "Great." He gave me a small smile before kissing me. It was slow but strong. Steady and reassuring, promising me that he would stay with me forever. It wasn't enough. "Let's go."

We reached the fire and Paul introduced me to the people I didn't know. They all smiled at me like I was already a pert of their big cozy family. Paul never let go of my hand. Soon everyone was in a circle around the fire and Billy Black started telling a story.

I listened carefully. It was a great distraction. He told that Quileutes were descended from wolves and that they were said to have been shapeshifters. Their enemy were the 'Cold Ones'. The Vampires. It was obviously a myth but I always thought that something is known as a myth only because the people haven't seen them with their own eyes. The shapeshifters might actually have been real.

The story ended and the snacks were over. Everybody started going home. I said my goodbyes to everyone. Paul and I drove to his house.

It was a nice house, small and comfortable. Surrounded by trees and lit by dim yellow lights. It was beautiful.

We got out of the truck and he unlocked the door. I walked in first, Paul close behind me. "This is me." He spoke, voice low. He then lifted me up over his shoulder and went up to his room. My heart was beating unsteadily, what would happen tonight?

He laid me down oh his bed and slid off my jacket, coming on top of me. I took a deep breath as he leaned down to kiss me. Our lips locked and I wanted to stay here forever. His hand slid under my shirt, the other one supporting him. I broke the kiss only push him down on the bed and climb on top of him and trail my lips down his smooth neck. His hands rested comfortably on the back of my thighs, sliding up and down, in and out. I put my hands on the hem of his shirt pulling it over his torso, he helped peel it off completely. I was eager, to feel him so close to me. His hands went across my stomach to the button on my jeans. He undid it and pulled my zipper down.

"Paul" called out a man's voice. I scrambled of him and tossed him his shirt, which he pulled on in a flash. I adjusted my pants and fixed my hair a little. "In here." He replied loudly. He turned to me and smiled, "Come on" He walked to his bedroom door, hand in mine and turned the knob. "Wait." I said. He turned and I took a step closer, running my fingers on his throat, examining his neck for any marks that i might have left behind. There was one, a very faint, barely visible purple spot on his neck. I bit my lip. "It doesn't matter." He assured me and pulled me downstairs.