Soulmate

His father was keeping his stuff on the couch and then walked to hang his jacket by the door when we descended down the stairs.

It was shocking how much Paul looked like his father. He had the same dark hair, but grey at the sides and a slightly wrinkled face. The same strong jaw but lighter skin. He was a little shorter than his son, though.

"Dad, I want you to meet someone." Paul's dad turned to face us. I was standing awkwardly next to Paul. My heart was rushing and adrenaline coursed through my veins. "Please make him like me. Please make him like me." I repeated rapidly in my head. He smiled a perfect smile, so much like Paul's and took a few steps forward. "Is that Alexandra Hemsworth?" He asked enthusiastically.

"Good evening, Sir." surprisingly, my voice sounded even and steady. "Good Evening. Its so nice to finally meet you. Paul won't stop talking about you." I looked to Paul and i could swear he was blushing.

"All things good, i hope." I said and Paul's father let out a laugh. "And its a pleasure to meet you too, Sir." I smiled at him.

"Oh, please call me Terry. Come sit." He gestured towards the living room. I took my place next to Paul on the couch. "So, Paul tells me you run a company." Terry said and I nodded.

"Please, tell me all about it. I like kids who have a job." He looked jokingly at Paul. I laughed before saying, "My grandfather manufactured car engines for a few companies in England. When that went steady he invested in other things. Later, my father inherited the company and expanded our plants in America and then it was all passed to me." Paul's father nodded. "Aren't you a little young to run a company, Paul tells me you are 18." He said kindly.

"I didn't have a choice. My parents passed away when i was young so it came into my hands, but i don't run it alone, I have plenty of help from my adoptive parents. Actually they do most of the work." I said with a laugh. I don't know what i would do without Mandy and Rick.

"I'm really sorry for your loss." Terry spoke, voice strained with concern.

"Thank you." I said then changed the subject. "Business is what i would have done anyway, so i don't feel like i was forced into it." He nodded. There was a pause.

"Billy was asking about you at the bonfire." Paul said.

"Oh. I am guessing you told him i was caught at work." asked Terry.

"Yeah, of course. He wanted to know if you would go fishing with him this Sunday?"

"Yeah, i'll talk to him about it. Alexandra, did you find the legends interesting?" Paul's father asked, suddenly turning the conversation back to me. "Very. I love all sorts of stories." i explained. "What if it is not a story?" He said seriously but laughed it off and looked to Paul with an intense gaze before asking, "Did they tell you about imprinting?" Paul's head turned to me and then back to his father, a wave of sudden alarm rolling of Paul.

"Imprinting." I repeated, trying to remember if it had been a part of the myth. "No, they didn't." I said and his Father looked at Paul with the same intense look as before, like he was encouraging Paul to take a good risk. When Paul looked away, he said, "i am sure Paul would love to tell you about it." Paul was still looking away so i tugged on his arm. "Yeah, great. I will." he spoke, rushed and nervous than i had ever seen him.

Soon we were back in the truck, Paul driving me back home. We reached the house and i got out. "Take a walk with me." He said so i strode to him and we walked to the edge of the forest. "What is imprinting?" I asked curiously?" We began walking around the rim of the woods, he my hand in his and laced our fingers together.

"They say that is how the shape shifters found their soulmates. When you see her, your whole world changes, suddenly it's not the earth holding you down anymore, she does... You become whatever she needs you to be, whether that's a protector, or a lover, or a friend. When you see her, everything is new. It is like a blind man seeing the sun for the first time."

I inhaled the cool air, drizzle dropping on us.

"Do you believe there is such a force? Imprinting?"

"I do."

The air was electric. "Do you?" He asked, voice low.

"I am starting to."